Is this fungus on my Cory?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

konstargirl

AC Members
Jun 2, 2013
Chicago, Il,USA
Real Name
Olivia
Okay so this morning I check o my fishies as usual to see if they are okay and I notice this fungal looking growth thing on one of my cories. I know the other day one of my cories was losing color and then came back after I did a simple water change and now I'm seeing this. I mean he's eating good, and lately very active and schools with my other three. He's eating now as if it' not bothering him one bit. Can you anyone help. He's living in my 10 gallon with 3 other cories. I have a spare tank to separate him in case its that.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That's kinda freaky, and doesn't look like a fungus to me. It looks like bits that shouldn't be out somehow got extruded.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings from a good liquid test kit?

konstargirl

AC Members
Jun 2, 2013
Chicago, Il,USA
Real Name
Olivia
Here are todays results:

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 80
Ph: 7.6

I did a big water change today(at least 50%) and today I will be separating him fro the other cories to monitor him. Is there any way I could treat him?? Poor thing is going to miss his friends.. :( He is staple BTW

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you're using Prime to dechlorinate your water, your ammonia is fine because Prime will read as .25. If you're using anything else, your tank is uncycled, as evidenced by the presence of ammonia. Nitrite having a reading that isn't 0 is a sign your tank isn't cycled. Nitrates at 80? Meh. Do a water change, but you'll need to check parameters/do water changes daily until your tank is cycled.

konstargirl

AC Members
Jun 2, 2013
Chicago, Il,USA
Real Name
Olivia
Oh yeah I always used Prime. Tehe. Thank you for letting me know about the ammonia part.

I bought some meds yesterda to treat the cory in case of it was a fungus(Marcyn) nd will that help at all?

Mamajin

Psychotic Female
When is the last time you cleaned your filter media in a bucket of clean Prime treated water? If the mechanical media (sponge/pad) gets clogged with gunk then your filter cannot work properly, which will cause higher water param readings than should be.

Any idea why your Nitrate readings are that high? The Nitrate API test kit is the easiest one to accidentally mess up and such a pain in the butt to do. Just in case, here's a short writeup;

API Nitrate Test
Bottle 1 is 10 drops
Cap tube and invert several times
Vigorously shake bottle 2 for exactly 30 seconds
Add 10 drops from bottle 2 to the same tube
Cap tube and shake vigorously for exactly 60 seconds
Wait 5 minutes for color to develop
Check color

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
It might be less stressed if left in with the other cories even if it does make observation a little more tricky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store