RCS die off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I have a 10 gallon tank that I had transferred most of my RCS into. Well, not thinking before I did it, I used 30 ml of hydrogen peroxide to kill off a few spots of BBA that I transplanted from my main tank via the bacopa it was growing on. Let's just say my lack of foresight eradicated my beneficial bacteria, as I went from 0/0/5-10 for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to I don't know how much/0/0 over the next week and a half. There weren't die offs for the first few days, so I didn't notice, but then they started dying in droves, and it took me a few more days to get smart enough to test the water. That started a cycle of multiple 40% water changes a day, dosing with Stability, and squeezing the sponge from my 55's AC 70 into the 10. The tank is correctly cycled, again, with 0/0/5-10 readings. It's been that way for over a week now, but I'm still getting 1 or 2 deaths per day. Any ideas why? We don't use any aerosols, the water is at about 78, everything that's in the aquarium is either new and designed for aquarium use, or is old and designed for aquarium use (rocks, plants, artificial decor from my 55).

The pH is 8.2, as opposed the 7.4 in my 55. I'm guessing that's due to the driftwood more than anything else, since the only differences in the two tanks is that I use Purigen in my 55, but not the 10, and I have driftwood in the 55 (3 pieces) and none in the 10.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No, at a guess it's because the shrimp, like people, have varying levels of resistance. Some weak ones will die quickly, while others will linger a bit longer before succumbing to a toxin. Just because the water conditions are again optimal, the damage done during the cycle remains. Most likely there will be a few survivors, though. Just hope it's a male and female.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You think that's all it is? Simply RCS dying off as a result of the injuries/damage? I'll keep doing what I'm doing then, and watch the population dwindle slowly for the time being. I do have some very small juveniles in there, so maybe they'll be the start of the next happy population boom.

I wondered if that was all it was, but wanted iterative opinions.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think Sheila is right on. If your water conditions are right on the money, the continued die-offs are due to the shock from the huge swing in water conditions.

I'd be ticked! RCS sell for $1 or more EACH in my area and I've only ever seen them in one LFS.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It is what it is. I failed to heed the one lesson I repeat to my children multiple times per day, it seems: think before you do. I didn't think, killed off the biological filter. I just have to wait it out. At this point, I don't even think moving them to my 55 will do anything other than make it harder to get the bodies out.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you. Now that my tanks have been all established, happy and healthy, It's been a long time since I measured water parameters. Issues could sneak up on you and bite you for sure.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
And, $1 each? In the LFS around here, *if* you can find them, they're $5-7. I make about $2 each when I sell them to my LFS.

I think I'm going to make a habit of testing one tank per week, since I'm currently cycling a third tank for use as a betta tank. Haven't found a betta I want yet, but when I do, I'll buy substrate and move a seeded filter over. Until then, I'll fishless cycle, and it may be done before I find the betta I want. I'm kinda thinking some kind of dragonscale, probably a halfmoon, and some panda garras. The wife'll want CPDs, but we'll see.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Bah. Garras need more tank than I'll be using for the betta. Oh well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store