New older large tank, To re silicon or not?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dragonfish1ca

Registered Member
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Im getting a 330 gallon that has been in service for 8-10 years. Its full of water now and has a chili red living in it. I know it has been moved twice with no problems. But it will be goin in my livingroom next week and thats alot of water I just dont want on the floor. Its 8ft by 3 ft by 2 feet deep so i know it has alot of pressure in it. Ive re siliconed a 130 gallon before with no problems but this is way bigger. If i do redo it should i use some kind of clamps? mabey just go over the old silicon as apposed to removing and starting from scartch? Any info you can give will help greatly.
Thanks

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
It's really your call, (your living room) I definately would not remove anything but the surface silicone, and reseal over the main seams if it were me. the two major things that hurt silicone are Lack of moisture and sunlight over time, neither of which is an isssue with aquariums (Usually). If it were me, and the tank had no leaks as it stands, I wouldn't mess with it personally, but as was said It's your living room, and therefore I wouldn't want to make the choice for you.

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
That is my feeling also-resurface the interior seams if anything. I have old tanks doing good after almost 20 years-largest is an All-Glass 90. They are in my basement though.;)

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I'm with daveedka... if it's not leaking, I wouldn't mess with it. I think the chances of messing it up by resealing it are greater than the chances of it spontaneously developing a leak.

Jim

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
I would definately reseal the inside of the seams, but wouldn't remove any of the old silicone. If it's completely dry, I don't see how resealing it could hurt.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Give it a good thorough inspection after the move. Check to see that it's still, um, rubbery. Not a great description, but I mean springy and firm, as opposed to hard or cracked. If it's in good condition and not leaking, go with daveedka's advice. As he said, it's your living room and that is a ton of water!

That said, I gotta say, I'm more than a bit jealous of your 330 gallon!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store