HELP! Tiger Barbs all hit at once

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RussWalters

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Good Afternoon,

I have a 220 gallon fresh water community tank and did a big water change yesterday (about 30%). All levels were on the money but this afternoon 3-4 tiger barbs are stuggling to swim down to the bottom and have bloated stomachs. I'm assuming some sort of swim bladder issue. I also just introduced some brine shrimp and sinking pellets to the tanks diet of usual flakes. No one else in the tank seems to be having any issues. Any one have suggestions on what may have caused and any potential treatment?

thanks in advance!!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It's grossly unlikely to be constipation, since it hit multiple fish concurrently. Since I know the smart folks are going to ask, what are the following: temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, any other new additions/changes to routine, did you dechlorinate the water, and with what?

Good luck.

RussWalters

AC Members
May 29, 2012
The levels I'm currently reading are 0/0/20. It's weird that only a few fish of the same species were hit, but not all of the species. The water was dechlorinated with an appropriate dose of Prime (not an old bottle). The only thing changed is diet, which is leading me to believe it may be constipation. I introduced freeze-dried brine shrimp to the their diets two days ago and am not just reading about pre-soaking it before giving it to the fish. The Tiger Barbs are pretty agressive eaters in my tank, and there is a good chance that they ate a large portion of that food - potentially leading to the swim bladder issue (my thoughts).

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Since I know the smart folks are going to ask, what are the following: temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, any other new additions/changes to routine, did you dechlorinate the water, and with what?
Thank you Authmal for noticing. ;)

Yes, we need to know this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store