New guy seeking enlightenment.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TreySiklid

Registered Member
Jun 4, 2013
Mississippi
Hello to all,

My name it Trey and I hail from a small town in northern Mississippi. I have some experience in fish keeping but I still consider myself very much a novice. My first aquarium as a kid was a 10 gal. platy tank that I kept for years. Later I discovered cichlids at a local Wal-Mart and thought they would look so cool with my platys... Thus I learned my first two lessons about cichlids; They do not play well with platys and I needed a bigger tank. Since those days I fell in love with cichlids and kept tanks of Jack Dempseys and Jewel cichlids for years but after moving twice I decided to give tanks and all away. That was 11 years ago. I am basically starting from scratch but I want to try something new and still incorperate my favorite species. I am currently planning a 75 gal. planted community tank featuring Bolivian rams. My main goal in registering on these forums is to get advice and help from the ground up and to share the experience. I have never kept a tank this big, nor do I have experience with planted tanks or rams so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

-TreyS

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
In my experience, rams are very peaceful. They dont need huge tanks as they remain small. They are really colorful and the best way to get their colors to show is with a variety in their diet- flakes, live and frozen foods and some veggies. As for plants, since you say you never had any experience, you could try some easy obes such as anubias and crypts. Im new to planted tanks as well and my anubias has grown 4 leaves since ive had it. Im sure others here can give you better insight on plants.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I've only kept low light species of plants. I've kept cichlids and plants together. Some can be mixed like rams, others can't like severums. I suggest with such a large tank, get your aquascape (plants, rocks, wood, etc.) established while compiling a list of cichlid species you want to keep. Rams are a great start and you would want to continue with non- diggers. Angels are awesome and there are other species that don't disturb plants too much. Do your research.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store