Eco Complete with Carbonate (Aragonite) Topper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
I was planning on doing a 2" eco complete substrate with about 1/2 to 1" of crushed coral/aragonite on top to lighten it up a bit. I know the two would get mixed eventually but I thought the salt and pepper look would be OK. I just took delivery of the bags of eco complete though and the instructions say "Do not top with carbonate gravels such as marble chips, aragonite, coral, etc." Why is this? At first I thought maybe the eco-complete was designed to buffer PH but all my searching has shown that if anything it tends to raise PH and KH, at least initially. Then I thought maybe the carbonate substrate would be bad for most plants or something (I'll admit quite a bit of ignorance when it comes to plant husbandry). Does anyone have insight on this? I'd really rather not ruin 200+ pounds of expensive substrate with a "try and see".

Tank will be a newly set up 185 gal tall plywood job I built a number of years ago and recently refinished. Looking to fill it with small community fish like clown loaches, zebra danios, some small tetras, etc. Maybe a big fat pleco and a couple tinfoil barbs or something.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I don't know the reason for that...but having had eco complete mix with sand in one of my tanks. It does not look good. You think it will...but yuck!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm gonna guess..eco complete is suppose to be a balanced soil with the correct amount of calcium, magnesium etc.
I suspect that adding aragonite or other calcium product may tho the balance off.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Looking to fill it with small community fish like clown loaches, zebra danios, some small tetras, etc. Maybe a big fat pleco and a couple tinfoil barbs or something.
Clown loach won't stay small and "a big fat pleco and a couple tinfoil barbs" will eat most of the plants you put in there

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Clown loach won't stay small and "a big fat pleco and a couple tinfoil barbs" will eat most of the plants you put in there
Thanks for a useless pontification that does nothing to address my question.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm gonna guess..eco complete is suppose to be a balanced soil with the correct amount of calcium, magnesium etc.
I suspect that adding aragonite or other calcium product may tho the balance off.
That's essentially would I would guess as well.

I'd suspect it would have to do with Ca++ ions preferentially binding with the soil's CEC sites over other favorable cations like Mg++, NH4+ and K+.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
... (I'll admit quite a bit of ignorance when it comes to plant husbandry)...
Thanks for a useless pontification that does nothing to address my question.
Attention, everyone: to avoid a good scolding, offer no additional advice. Also, yes or no questions should probably be answered with a simple yes or no. Any elaboration may have negative side effects.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Attention, everyone: to avoid a good scolding, offer no additional advice. Also, yes or no questions should probably be answered with a simple yes or no. Any elaboration may have negative side effects.
Glabe, I'm sorry if my snark offends you, however it was the tone more than the content that annoyed me. Feel free to experience it your way however.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Glabe, I'm sorry if my snark offends you, however it was the tone more than the content that annoyed me. Feel free to experience it your way however.
I was just talking out of my butt :) btw, your 185g is stunning. Can't wait to see the innards take shape!

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Thanks for the kind words :) My rear end becomes quite vocal at times too.

The 185 has actually been set up and torn down a couple of times, including a complete refinishing of the inside and outside with fiber reinforced epoxy instead of the original plain epoxy coating. I'm trying to sell it if I can get the right price, as I'm moving across the country (again) and I've already dragged this beast through a couple of long range moves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store