Angelfish Dieing Need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have a 40 gallon breeder divided in two. On one side I have two adult angels and the other side 5 quater size Angels. First let me say my water is perfect. I tesdted everything. These are all new fish , a well known Angelfish expert traded me for some of mine. The two adults one a philippine blue and the other a Platinum Pearlscale. I took my platinum and mated it with the Philippene blue. I got three good size spawns. Then one morning I found the Platinum Male dead. I did a 35% water change and put some salt in the water a few days later two of the angels on the other side died. Water flows throught the divider. I removed the fermale and put her in another 20 gallon tank with a Platinum Male. I think he is a male. Now for a few days they were doing real well they looked like they were going to mate. Then I noticed the female had a bloody eye and wasn't eating. I removed the male so the female is buy her self. I did a 25% water change, put a tablespoon of salt in the water along with Lifeguard All-In-One Treatment by Tetra. I used four tablets one for ever 5 gallons as per the instrutions. MY female still will not eat. I have tried brine shrimp blood worms and flake food. How can I fix her eye and why are they all dieing. They just die with no symptoms except they don't eat. I thought that was because they were going to breed again I have three other tanks with angels and they are fine. The only thing I put un the warter is De Chlore. I need help I don't want to losse my phoilipine Blue.Any help you can give me will be weel appreciated. I don't want to loose my Philippine Blue Angel it is my friends favorite. Thank You

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just out of curiosity, what water parameter test kit are you using? What are your numbers in ppm for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Could any toxic to fish substances have gotten into the tank?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
And why in the name of aquaria are you dosing salt? Or anything else , for that matter. Random dosing of chemicals, even salt, can easily add to any existing problems. Numbers are needed to start weeding out problems, not adjectives. These numbers include tank size, temp, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings.

Recalling your post about angel fish fry dieing, I'd recommend reviewing your care notes from that speaker. If your stock was provided by an expert, it's unlikely to be something wrong with the fish, and likely something wrong in their environment.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
The symptoms of not eating would tend to lead me toward an internal parasite of some kind. O do agree seeing the listed parameters would be nice.

Lots of people use salt. Many discus and angel breeder use it quite frequently. When I had discus and they started acting funny...the first thing I did was a huge water change and add salt.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I had a Angelfish expert over to my a while ago and he said you should always use salt after you clean your tank. Infact I was told by club members to use salt on all my fish I have used salt for 40 years. I use the test strips and all the readings were in the safe zone. Tank size is 20 gallon with two angels in it. ommonia none

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I am useing the test strips and I have an omina test which shows yellow no omonia. No toxic substance could have gotten in the water. I have 26 tanks and all are cleaned the same day, the only other thing that goes in the water is food and DeClore

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I am useing the test strips and I have an omina test which shows yellow no omonia. No toxic substance could have gotten in the water. I have 26 tanks and all are cleaned the same day, the only other thing that goes in the water is food and DeClore
Whoa! Congrats on the 26 tanks. As much as I love the hobby, I couldn't imagine that many. Given your level of experience, I'm very surprised you don't use a decent liquid test kit for your water parameters. Test strips don't cut it. For a quick glance maybe, but you need something along the lines of a API Master Test Kit for proper analysis of water parameters.

Also- 20g for two angels? That's not enough for one angel IMO.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
did you QT the angels?

unfortunately there has been in the past severe issues with a plague that can wipe out entire stocks.

the bloody eye issue I would suspect may be aggression issues.

since angels are nearly impossible to sex(except at spawn) it is difficult to determine sexes.. even so angels are conspecific aggressive and can battle amongst themselves.

I have single angels that simply do not get along with other angels.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store