Molly with Clamped Fins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Hi,

We got a new female sailfin molly and it was in the quarentine tank for two weeks. She was so stressed and nervous at first, but then she got used to the quarentine tank. I noticed her gils seemed a little red, so I tested the water and it was 20-30 on the nitrate levels (using the API test kit). It was time to move her over anyways, so I did. Her fins are clamped in. You can't see her fins and her tail fin is not fanned out, she sort of wobbles to get around and occasionally uses her side fins. She has been eating and she pecks around a little for algae. Any idea? Thanks.

I am dosing (slowly) 1/2 teaspoon per 2 gallons, which is half the dosage the API Aquarium salt package says to do, just because we have a cory cat in that tank.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Why are you dosing salt ?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
I understand the controversy with salt and how it is not needed. I have also read an equal amount of how it's a good treatment for minor ailments and is beneficial for sick fish. It couldn't hurt to dose salt at half dosage for a week, right?

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Clamped fins is usually a sign of ammonia in the water. Test your water and see if the parameters are all good. If they're all okay, you should consider separating the molly.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
No ammonia in any of my tanks. Nitrate was a little high in the hospital tank she was in, which was the reason I transferred her to good quality water. She has been swimming decently half of the time so far, but her fins are still clamped in, aside from the side fins she propels herself with. Just fed her GarlicGuard soaked veggie flakes and freeze-dried bloodworms, tonights dinner is frozen brine shrimp with a hint of garlic :p
She ate like a champ and is still skimming the surface for more

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Then I'm not sure I can help, but if she ate that's a good sign.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
I am going to feed her well (frozen, freeze-dried, some peas, and lots of veggie flakes), especially with garlic, and see what happens in 5-7 days. If there is no improvement then I will separate her and use medications. Any idea which medications would be best?

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
No idea. If I were you, I'd look around the internet and try to find a diagnosis. Look at freshwater fish illness diagnosis websites and try searching about clamped fins too. See what you can find.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I am going to feed her well (frozen, freeze-dried, some peas, and lots of veggie flakes), especially with garlic, and see what happens in 5-7 days. If there is no improvement then I will separate her and use medications. Any idea which medications would be best?
If it's a contagious illness, it's too late to separate her. I would recommend researching for a diagnosis before dosing, because unnecessary/incorrect dosing can cause more problems than it fixes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store