Buying Used Canister Filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Trying to pick up an FX5 or similar large canister for my 125, but don't want to spend a ton if I don't have to. Is it worth it to buy a used canister, and what would I need to do to verify that the filter does work?

I'm worried more about draining the tank onto my floor more than anything, is there a way I could keep the filter from leaking, or at least stop it from spilling too much water? The obvious idea seems to be to place the input high up in the tank, but that's still a lot of water to potentially be spilled. Any suggestions on how to safeguard it as best I can?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I have my canister in a baking dish. It's not going to catch a huge amount of water, but if someone's home, it'll at least buy time. You can also buy new hoses, just to make sure the fits are tighter. Other than that, I don't know what you should check. If cost is a factor, why not try Sun Sun HW 304 or AquaTop CF500UV? They're in the neighborhood of $120, new. They may not be as good as an FX 5, but you can get two, or one and an AC 110. My CF400UV needs to be opened up and filter media cleaned about once every 6-8 weeks, which, while more frequent than I hear people may do with the FX5, isn't too bad, and the sponges are *filthy* when I clean them.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I bought my fluval fx5 used off of eBay. When you buy one, male sure that the clamps aren't broken/ cracked/missing at all. Mine came with about 5 clamps that had cracks in them, I have already had to replace 2 so far. If one clamp is broken or missing, the canister will leak when it powers off/turned off. Also make sure that the O-ring is in good condition. I would just keep a close eye on it after installing for a few days.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
here's a tip.. put your canister filter in a rubbermaid tub under the stand...I did for my mag 350 which for some reason started leaking.. I reseated the hoses and it stopped..I'm replacing it with a sunsun 302 since the tank has 2 filters on it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Setting the filter in a tub or bucket is a great idea, as is adding additional clamps or even taping the hose fittings. Double protection at the potential weak spots. Keeping the suction strainer up as high as your setup can tolerate would also help break the siphon should anything fail.

Just some suggestions. Of course I haven't tried a single one of them yet with my Sunsun 302. :uhoh:

Given my luck lately, I should!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The FX5 clamps are basically an accident waiting to happen...thats why so many folks mod them. As for a used one...guess why they are dumping the filter...?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I have never had a canister filter leak. I am using Eheim's and Sun Sun's. If buying one used, I would want to see it working before buying it. With that said, I have sold several filters, that did not leak and worked fine, and no one asked to see them running. So go figure.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I bought my fluval fx5 used off of eBay. When you buy one, male sure that the clamps aren't broken/ cracked/missing at all. Mine came with about 5 clamps that had cracks in them, I have already had to replace 2 so far. If one clamp is broken or missing, the canister will leak when it powers off/turned off. Also make sure that the O-ring is in good condition. I would just keep a close eye on it after installing for a few days.

how hard was it to replace the clamps?

Took everyone's advice, and I'm headed to walmart now to try and find a rubbermaid for my current filter. It's not neccessarily that I think it WILL leak, it's just the possibility which scares the crap out of me.

I'm going to check out a couple used FX5s and see if they work (before buying them), butif that doesnt work out I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new marineland 530. Aquatop seems relatively cheap and I've read that their customer service can be crap so unless I can snag a fx5 that's my best bet.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I emailed Aquatop's customer service, got a response in 4 hours. Yeah, it took over a week to resolve the issue, but that was mostly delays on my end (having to go home and try troubleshooting), because I always got a response within a couple of hours, after the initial email. Frankly, I'm happy with mine. I don't know if I'd be happier with a more costly canister (this is my first) but I'd have to be a *lot* happier to be happy with the difference in cost. Oh, and the Marineland C-360 seems to be, aside from color and the lack of a UV filter, the *exact* same filter in every dimension, size of attachments, clamp, clip, and shape, the Aquatop CF400UV. I mean it's so similar, that I can use C-360 media without a hitch. Even some replacement parts seem to be the same size. I'm of the opinion that the filters are made in the same factories, just some use gray plastic, and some white, and that the lack of UV filter on the Marineland brand is just to make it not *too* apparent that they're charging more for the more familiar name.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
how hard was it to replace the clamps?

Took everyone's advice, and I'm headed to walmart now to try and find a rubbermaid for my current filter. It's not neccessarily that I think it WILL leak, it's just the possibility which scares the crap out of me.

I'm going to check out a couple used FX5s and see if they work (before buying them), butif that doesnt work out I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new marineland 530. Aquatop seems relatively cheap and I've read that their customer service can be crap so unless I can snag a fx5 that's my best bet.
The clamps are super easy to replace, they kind of pop into place and you screw them down. You can find replacement parts online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store