what LIVE FOOD should I feed my Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I feed my fish brine shrimp and blood worms once to twice a week, or sometimes bi-weekly. But I want to try something esle for my angelfish to munch on besides, flakes, Brine and bloodworms. I know she would eat Endlers, but I don't have the money for them. She is quite a large fish and big enough to eat my Black neons, but she doesn't bother them. Could I try feeding her Ghost Shrimp as a live feeder? They are quite cheap in my area at 36 cents each and are quite small at the LFS.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I feed my fish (and angels) Brind Shrimp, Mysis, Glass worms, tubiflex (Live, hate the frozen ones), white worms, mosquito larva, blood worms, and flake food.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Right now, I do not have the funds to buy frozen foods or other live foods. Most of my fish eat till they are full, except that my angel is always wanting food and follows me.
IMG_1030.JPG She's my largest fish, so I want to give her something different then the other fish, like a reat or something. I have a Ghostie in my 10g thats lonly and does nothing. Could I try to feed it to her?

IMG_1030.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Be careful, if it is too big, the angel may choke on it.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
She ate a Endler whole more then once. The shrimp is less then an inch long show she should be alright. I watched her swallow a 1 1/2" ball of blood worms and she does the same with brine..

I could keep Ghost shrimp in my 10g has feeders for her to eat. I often find a lot of lose change around the house and I could use it on the ghosties. I'll let you know if she likes them when I feed her the one shrimp.

Aquanero

"In omnibus speciebus. Adunatum."
Feb 14, 2011
New Jersey
Real Name
Tom
I keep wild caught P. Liopoldi, P. Scalare (Rio Nanay & Rio Negro) & P. Altum ( Rio Inirida) all eat NLS Threa A+ 1mm pellets. I don't use live food ever. I will occasionally feed Freeze dried Black Worms & Blood worms when young but as adults they eat NLS. Short of raising your own feeders, with out proper QT the risk of introducing unwanted pathogens is too great to risk IMO. A couple of options would be a small tank of mollies makes loads of fry that can be used and the glass shrimp is fine as a treat as long as they have been kept about a month before feeding. 1 male to 5 females is a good ratio for the mollies. You shouldn't be feeding more than once a day as an adult. Overfeeding is one of the reasons many fish kept by hobbyist don't live as long as they could. My fish come to the glass every time I get near the tank looking for food. Angelfish learn fast to associate you with food and can rival Oscars when it comes to begging.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I doubt your Angel is actually hungry. Mine follow meall the time! they beg like little puppies. That is their nature.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I keep wild caught P. Liopoldi, P. Scalare (Rio Nanay & Rio Negro) & P. Altum ( Rio Inirida) all eat NLS Threa A+ 1mm pellets. I don't use live food ever. I will occasionally feed Freeze dried Black Worms & Blood worms when young but as adults they eat NLS. Short of raising your own feeders, with out proper QT the risk of introducing unwanted pathogens is too great to risk IMO. A couple of options would be a small tank of mollies makes loads of fry that can be used and the glass shrimp is fine as a treat as long as they have been kept about a month before feeding. 1 male to 5 females is a good ratio for the mollies. You shouldn't be feeding more than once a day as an adult. Overfeeding is one of the reasons many fish kept by hobbyist don't live as long as they could. My fish come to the glass every time I get near the tank looking for food. Angelfish learn fast to associate you with food and can rival Oscars when it comes to begging.

I feed mine frozen foods and flake. Flakes about twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I had the angelfish for close to 5 yrs now and she's still going.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Fish always beg. I have killies that will beg whenever they see me.

Another option would a marmokreb. Self cloning cray fish, they produce loads of young (just need one!) and the little ones are great for food. Same for cherry shrimp--set up a colony in a tank, and then feed from it. Self sustaining, cheap to keep going, no worries of pest or disease. I know, shocking, considering how pricey cherry shrimp used to be, but for less than $50, you could set up a colony to feed from for years. 10 gallon tank, minimal substrate, sponge filter, java moss, 3-4 shrimp. Add water and wait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store