Help choosing a stand for my 75 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I am moving and can't take the stand my tank is currently on as it was in the house when I moved here and doesn't belong to me. My question is do you think my new stand option will hold it?

Currently the stand that it is on is 17 inches by 60 inches. As you know a 75 gallon is 18 inches by 48 inches, so it does hang off about a inch or so. I know the stand is well over 200 pounds. I also have about 50 lbs of slate in there. Here is a picture of the current stand the tank is on:
Aquarium Stand.jpg

Now this is the stand in question. It is a dresser stand that holds a huge mirror. I was wondering if this could possibly hold it. This is 18 inches by 65 inches. Not sure how much it weighs my guess is between 100-200 pounds. Excuse the mess as it is used for hair and make-up. I couldn't get all of it in the camera, but I got most of it. Here it is:
Aquarium Stand 2.jpg

Aquarium Stand.jpg Aquarium Stand 2.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Seeing the interior constructionwould be the only way to really judge. My opinion from what I see would be no.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Seeing the interior constructionwould be the only way to really judge. My opinion from what I see would be no.
:iagree:

Plus, once you plonk 900 or 950 pounds on top of it, you're going to start losing access to drawers as the wood bows. Dressers really aren't usually designed to hold that kind of weight continuously.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yikes! Not ideal having the font of that 75g not supported, like shown in your first pic. There's no way I'd attempt ~900lbs on a dresser either. That's a disaster waiting to happen. They're not designed to support and balance that kind of weight.

I get your concern though. Store bought stands are EXPENSIVE once you go 75g or up. They're like 2-3x what a 55g stand goes for.

**EDIT. I see Petco has a "wood" stand for ~$175, shipped. Not a bad price. I've actually got the exact stand in the 55g version. http://www.petco.com/product/101397....aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_StandsFurniture

Last edited:

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
The first thing is not a dresser. I'm actually not sure what it is lol. The first thing is huge and isn't hollow on the inside. I had it sitting on the thing in the first picture for almost a year. Also, before the whole back of the tank was slate. So I know the slate added a whole 100+ pounds. Right now 175 is too much for me as it costs a lot to move. Also, I moving in a week.

It used to look something like this:
056.jpg

Then it slowly became this now:

Now it's the first picture I posted. I am going to skip out on the dresser though. Now I am in search of a stand.

056.jpg

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
If nothing else, look for a wrought Iron one....they are usually cheaper! A litle spray paint will make it look good as new!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Do you know where I can find an Iron one? As far a store or place that might carry them. I really don't care if it's wood or iron.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store