Red Cherry Shrimp Color is Faded, HELP !?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
So I have a 2.6 gallon (Fluval Spec III) planted red cherry shrimp (just RCS) tank. I have like 14-15 of them in there. Most of the shrimp are offspring of 2 females / two males I started with. However I tested the water and every thing looks ok: Nitrates and Nitrites are at or near zero, my pH is 6, but, the only thing is that my water is on the hard side. I have a 6.6 gallon tank with just 3 RCS in it and they are noticeably vibrant red more so than my RCS tank.

Let me know why they seem less happy then the ones in my 6.6g tank.

Here are two possible culprits but let me know what u think.

1.) I added a piece of "drift wood" which is acctualy a base/root of some sapling (not pine). Its been in there since the start of the tank like 8 months. Now it is getting soft and spongy in places. Could this be reliesing ... stuff in the water causing stress to the RCS ???

2.) Water is too hard ... idk...

I do weekly water changes and feed them every other day (now that flat worms have showing up).
Why are they not doing as well as the few in my other tank ... ?

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I don't know too much about Shrimps, but I noticed when my temp went up to 85 degree F, the shrimps started to change color and one of them died.
It's getting pretty warm these days, did you check your temp?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you're trying to use some kind of soft wood as driftwood, it could leach unpleasantness into your water.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Wood in any tank that small can be an issue. Softwood is an issue in any tank. I suggest either purchasing some cured driftwood or using the fake stuff. It also sounds like you have a huge bioload and any small element can knock it out of line. You really should thin the shrimp out.

I'll be interested to hear the answer as well because mine are kind of clear with a red tinge and I was just hopping on here to ask the very same question. Maybe two different set ups with the same problem will help find the solution. I have a Fluval Chi that's been running for two plus years now. It has a java fern and a betta. Most of my shrimp are on the clear side with the red tinge there are a couple of larger ones that I've seen for the first time today that are actually really dark (I'll start another post for them) Looking forward to hearing some theories.

Gypsy125

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
15 RCS in a 2.6 gal is not a big bioload. I've had thriving populations of 20++ in 1.5 gal Walstad nano tanks (that's no filter - only plants for water maintenance). With only 4 individuals to start with, chances are you may have ended up with bad genes. Add to that inbreeding, and you may have ended up with weak genetics...luck of the draw kinda deal...

I know that the general consensus on the forum is that the lfs people don't know what they're talking about so I guess this should be taken as untrustworthy but I asked them why some of my shrimp were red others not so much and I was told that the males tend to be somewhat more clear and smaller. In their experience they've had other colour varieties appear in their personal RCS tank over time. OBliltzO, is absolutely all your shrimp that have faded or just some of them? I know I thought mine were all faded until I took a close look.

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
Both male and female color was faded, but I found out it was due to a bad piece of drift wood. I know it wasn't pine, but I guess it was leeching something into the water. Replaced the driftwood with stuff I identified as safe and they are happy now.

Esoxluciousss

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
I had hundreds in my 6ft tank before I packed it all in 3 years ago. All 9 tanks. Ihave them all still in the back yard yard just out of storage now...so I have a 30 litre nano. Wonder ing what population density would this tank take before I would overload it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store