Starting my first reef tank....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChandlerB

AC Members
Jun 14, 2013
I have a 60 gallon triangle shape tank that was used for freshwater fish for a period of time. It has an eheim filter that is a bit old but works okay and is hooked up via drilled holes in the bottom of the tank for in and out flow of water. This is a home made tank and I want to make it into a saltwater tank with live rock and such. I have interests in putting a pair of clownfish in it and maybe a few others not too much. I just would like some suggestions as to what I would need to get it rolling to begin cycling with the live rock. I just would like specifics on what to start with. Also any suggestions as to what sort of filtration I should do would be appreciated ( although im not sure i could do a sump as there is not much room under the stand and etc) .

Anyway thanks in advance for your helpful hints!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Live rock = filtration. Live rock is colonized by the beneficial bacteria, so if you buy good cured live rock, it's pretty well instant cycle. Best way to go is to set up the tank and some means of providing water flow, fill with SW, let the sand settle, add rock, add fish slowly. Test as you go, but good live rock should handle the load right off.

Now, you may want to add other forms of filtration, such as a skimmer, but it sounds like you could install an overflow around the drilled holes and run a sump to house them. Knowing what you want to house, and providing the correct lighting and tankmates will be important, since I suspect lighting a triangle will be challenging. Custom built LED might be the way to go.

Can you post a pic?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
A 60g triangle -- interesting shape. In addition to pix, can you post the dimensions?

You can definitely rely on good live rock for biological filtration, however, the size / shape of your tank once you start adding live rock may ultimately limit the choices you make for inhabitants. That'll be easier to talk about once the tank's dimensions are known. In any case, a pair of clown fish shouldn't be an issue -- it'll just be a matter of what else you can put in there with them.

Do you have any thoughts on what type of reef you are working towards -- a mixed reef, soft corals only, low light corals only, etc.? That will impact what you'll do for lighting, and possibly what you'll consider for additional filtration beyond what the live rock can do for you.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Put an overflow box around the drilled holes before you do anything. You could do bare standpipes with proper intakes for surface skimming but would highly recommend the overflow box. I understand the tank dimmesions may limit what you can put under the tank (keep in mind it doesn't always have to go under the tank) but I would also recommend a sump with a good skimmer over the eheim. Bigger is better when it comes to sumps but event a 10 gallon with a sock and a good skimmer will significantly outperform the eheim.

ChandlerB

AC Members
Jun 14, 2013
Okay the dimensions are 28" for each side length and the front face is 39 5/8" and it is 24 tall. I will attach a photo soon . I am thinking mostly some items that will become very vibrant in coloration. I would like to put some good tank mates that would get along well with the clownfish but also vibrant colors as well.

ChandlerB

AC Members
Jun 14, 2013
Well I believe my thoughts on what corals I would put in are more towards like anemones and other then that just anything brightly colored to make the tank stand out nicely in my home.

ChandlerB

AC Members
Jun 14, 2013
Here is a photo of the tank it currently has freshwater fish in it. I have got homes for the current inhabitants. Also I imagine I just clean out the tank of all the items in it and then after I get a new filter for the tank (as it isnt flowing very well , i think it is simply just too old ). And then fill the tank with SW and add the rock and sand and let it get started that way?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Your pic didn't attach to your post. Please give it another try.

With the sand and live rock in the tank (along with the sw of course), the cycling process can get started. You may find that you need more circulation than what the single filter intake / output can provide, so you may end up adding a powerhead or two to get enough water movement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store