Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
This isn't the first time one of their tanks has...well...tanked. All that's different this time is that it was captured by the film crew instead of happening a month or two down the line.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yep. That said, they seem to be taking more care in their selection than in the first season. I also think it's a better overall show than Nat Geo's Fish Tank Kings.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Having met Francis (the Fish Geek on Fish Tank Kings)...I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Francis is the real deal, and really does try to make sure the animals will survive. If you ever get the chance to see his talk on aquariums in the Middle East, go. You won't be disappointed.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Just because a lesson occurred doesn't mean the lesson was learned..............

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Having met Francis (the Fish Geek on Fish Tank Kings)...I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Francis is the real deal, and really does try to make sure the animals will survive. If you ever get the chance to see his talk on aquariums in the Middle East, go. You won't be disappointed.
I don't doubt that he knows the fish, and I'm sure the guys on Tanked have a similar staffer. I just think Tanked is a more entertaining show. To clarify, that means I want to smack one of the cast members most of the time, as opposed to wanting to smack most of the cast members on FTK.

In both cases, the problem, in my opinion, is that they're in a business that centers on products on a deadline. It's easy for us to say that the tanks should be stocked appropriately, at a safe rate, because we're not hurt when the client says they're going to go to a different vendor that will promise to meet their deadline. The customer isn't always right, but sometimes, to not hurt your revenue, you have to concede. Is it right? No. The clients should be willing to take a moment to understand the basics of what they're buying, and what it means to them *and* the animals, and how to properly care for them. The problem is that the kind of clientele these guys get don't care. They want something pretty, and have a pretty big chunk of cash to throw at the desire until they get it.

I do have an issue with a TV tank from Tanked. It was probably no more than 8 or so gallons, but they had a few albino red tailed sharks, an iridescent shark, and some other fish that I can't recall. I don't know if they told the client (a kid, in this instance) that he'd have to keep an eye on them, and rehome them when they got too big, and that just didn't make it onto the final cut, but as it stands, I wouldn't have put that many fish that get to be that big in that tank.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I used to set up tanks for people and I ran into the same issue, people want something pretty - right now. As soon as you say anything about cycling, you lose them. Now I give advice. I'm sure the Tanked guys would like to take the time to do things the right way but its a TV show #1 and #2, in their business they do design and set up, maintenance is left up to someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Why would Tanked learn a lesson? All ATM does is build the setup. Sounds like the local maintenance company learned a lesson.

Last edited:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It looks like this is reported in a large number of places, so who knows what might happen.

But the only lesson that might be learned would be if they lose business over this.. And only time will tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store