My 75 Gallon Planted Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
It all begins:

FROM THIS……

Before.JPG

My equipment:

Tank - Aqueon 75 Gallon (60 gallon water column)
Lights – Marineland 36” - 48” Single Bright LED Light Fixture (10 w)
Aqueon 48” Double Bulb Light Fixture (1-28w 6700K daylight bulb, 1-28w Coralife bulb)
Both lights are on a timer to be on for 8 hours each day
Filter – Rena Filstar XP2
CO2 - Pressurized 5# CO2 tank, Milwaukee MA957 regulator, Milwaukee SMS122 Ph Controller (set to 7.0 pH?)
Heater –Aqueon 300w (76F)
Ferts - EI Dry Dosing

Considering adding:

DIY CO2 drop checker (or maybe purchase)

Friday, June 7, 2013

I placed an order today with Aquariumplants.com. I ordered a replacement Ph probe for my Milwaukee SMS122 Ph controller along with 4.0 calibration solution. I also ordered an Aquascape plan at the same time. I received a consultation phone call within 30 minutes of placing the order and I told them that I wanted the large rock to remain in its present location as pictured in the photo included with the questionnaire and that I also wanted to keep the plants that I presently have, adding them into the new aquascape plan. They sent a list of plants for the aquascape along with the price.

Monday, June 10, 2013

I contacted Aquariumplants.com to arrange payment for the plant order for the aquascape and left a message for them to call me back.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I never got the return phone call Monday for the payment so I called them back and once again requested they call for payment arrangement but I also told them I wanted to add 10 packages of plant anchors to the order. Mark called me back within a few minutes and the order was processed. He said it would be shipped on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 with an expected delivery of Friday, June 14, 2013.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I received a shipment confirmation email so I checked the UPS website for the status of the order. It states the delivery is expected on Thursday,June 13, 2013 at 10:30 am. That is fast.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The order arrived today as expected. I left a note on the door asking the UPS driver to please place the package inside the front door as it was to get hot today and I didn't want them baking in the sun. He did as requested. The Ph probe and the calibration solution are included in this delivery but they sent 2 bottles of 7.01 calibration solution and not the 4.0 as requested. I emailed them about the error asking them to call me Friday at work. I unpacked the plants long enough to inventory and photograph them since I am not sure how long it will take to get this corrected. They are in great shape; the Madagascar Lace is just gorgeous. When I looked at the aquascape plan something about it just didn't look right, it showed a location for 2 large pieces of driftwood, a smaller rock, and a skull. NO SKULL IS IN OR EVER WILL BE IN MY AQUARIUM. I noticed later on the second page of the packing slip it states that the solution was changed to 7.01 due to the other being for Saltwater (don’t think so but after looking on the web for information I determine it will be okay). I will just let them know about the aquascape when they call Friday.

Bow Front Aquascape.JPGPlant Package.JPG

This package includes the following plants:

1. Sagittaria, Subulata (narrow leaf)(Sagittaria subulata) - 10 Plants perorder
2. Aponogeton, Madagascar Lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis)
3. Cryptocoryne Parva (bare root)(also available in pots)
4. Cryptocoryne, Lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea) Pot (medium size)
5. Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. Tropica)
6. Cabomba Green (Cabomba carolina)
7. Cabomba Purple (Red) (Cabomba pulcherrima)
8. Ludwigia, Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens)(also available in pots)
9. Myrio, mattogrossense

All in all there are at least 54 plants

Friday, June 14, 2013

I removed all the existing plants from the tank tonight and placed them in a 3gallon bucket of water to hold them until I can put them back in the tank. Thiswill also make it easier when I remove the water from the tank and vacuum thesubstrate. No phone call.

Void of Plants.JPG

Saturday, June 15, 2013

After running errands with the hubby and working in the yard, I can finally goin to begin the aquascape. It is around 10:00 am. I received no Friday call butI have to get these plants in water before they die.

I began by lowering the water level to make it easier to do the aquascape. I removed 30 gallons of water, this is 50% of the water volume as this tank has 60 gallons of water in it, and yes, I know exactly how many gallons because I used a gallon pitcher (filled to the gallon mark) when I originally set this tank up. That was 60 trips to and from the sink, I will remember that forever.I am so glad that I thought ahead when setting this tank up and placed 5-gallon markers on the side of the tank. I have to lower the water this using my gravel cleaner because I can’t find the faucet adapter for the Python. This makes the process longer but I will get the same result.

After a few interruptions to stop and make lunch for 3-year-old grandson we arewatching, checking on his whereabouts several times, making numerous trips intothe garage making sure he is still “helping” grandpa, and chasing him off theroof once (back of house is built into a hill and I am pretty sure that isn't adeer walking up there and the dog is to lazy), I finally get the water levellow enough that I can net the Pleco as well as another algae eater and placethem in the tank with the Turquoise Severum. No more will that Pleco wreakhavoc on my pretty planted aquarium. All other occupants will remain in thetank during the process. I removed the rock to make it easier when it comestime to put in the back-ground plants.

Next, I decided that I wanted the substrate to be a little higher in the back so I get some Eco-complete that I had removed from an older tank quite some time ago and used that to create a steeper slope in the back of the tank. At the same time I buried the line and the air stone to hide it better and moved it more to the left so it would be slightly off center. Once all the substrate work was done I let things settle so I could actually see what I was doing and the fish had a break as well.

It is now around 5:00 pm and the grandson’s 6-year-old sister has made an appearance as well so Mom & Dad can go out to dinner for an early Father’s Day. Now I get to work on this project while trying to keep her entertained as well, but she likes to “help” so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Let’s get started putting all those plants in this tank. This is when Idiscovered why the aquascape plan didn't look right to me. I decide to start atthe rear and work forward. I went to measure the location of the first group ofplants and discovered the diagram was not the same size as the tank, after allthe website states all plans are “full Scale”. This plan is 38” long and thetank diagram is 36” x 15”, not the 48” x 18” I had noted in the questionnaire.Upon further inspection, I notice the shape of the diagram is for a Bow Frontaquarium. I try to call them, again no answer but it is Saturday so I emailedthem about the problem. I will have to make do for now, these plants can’twait. Since the plants on the plan are the same ones I was to receive with myplan I decided I will try to follow this plan as much as I can.

I separated the Sagittaria, subulata (narrow leaf) into individual plants(approx. 45), pruned the roots and removed any leaves that look less than healthy.According to the “plan” these plants are to be located in the positionsreferred to with a “1”. With the granddaughter handing me each plant, one byone, I placed just over half of them in the back right corner forming atriangular shape running along the back about 15”, up the right side about 5.5”and down over to the left side about 4”. I place the remaining plants on theleft side in the same fashion but with a smaller foot print of about 14” by4”.

Now it’s time to place that rock back in place. I want to set it so that the air stone I buried earlier is centered behind the rock. I turn the air on so I can remember the location and place the stone. I want the Madagascar Lace plant behind the rock as a focal point so I keep that in mind as I place the stone at a slight angle going front to back so it doesn't set exactly square with the walls of the tank.

Before.JPG Bow Front Aquascape.JPG Plant Package.JPG Void of Plants.JPG

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Nice start! I don't think you really need the CO2 with your present lighting. Excel would do nicely, but you are now well positioned for the inevitable upgrade! Btw you want to do a 2 point calibration, so some 7.0 cal solution would be a good idea.

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
CONTINUED.........

Now back to the planting. Referring back to the misguided plan I select the next location which indicates the plant labeled as “9” is to be placed directly in from of the Sagittaria on the right side of the tank against the wall. I find this such labeled plant which is the Myrio, mattogrossense. Since this is a stem plant, I divide the bunch into 2 groups and I placed the individual groups into a plant anchor and bury them in the substrate next to each other. I am hoping these plant anchors will keep the stem plants in the substrate and not floating loose.

Now I move to the other side of the tank again. This time the “plan” indicates the plant identified as “6”. This is the Cabomba Green (Cabomba carolina). This is to be placed directly in from the Sagittaria against the left-side wall in the same fashion as with the Myrio, so I divide the bunch into 2 groups and once again place each group into a plant anchor and bury them in the substrate next to each other.

Next I move to the area just in front of the rock. The plan indicates that the plant, Cryptocoryne Parva, designated with a “3” will be divided into 3 different size groupings and placed on each side and behind the skull. Since I don’t have a skull in my tank I opt to place it in front of the rock starting on the left and filling in the area all the way across to the other side making sure to fill in to the front of the tank but being careful to keep it only in front of the rock. I have 5 pots of this so I divide the pots into as many individual plants as I can and once again I trim the roots and remove any leaves that don’t look to healthy. I have approximately 30 of these to plant.

Now I move back to the area behind the rock. This is where the Aponogeton Madagascar Lace “2” is going to go. I trim the roots and check the leaves and bury the bulb in the substrate making sure it is centered with the rock. I love the looks of this plant. No pictures I have seen of this plant will do it justice. It will make a great focal point for the tank.
I decide it is time to add a little water since some of these plants are so tall and making it difficult to see what I am doing. They stand much better with just a couple more inches of water.

Moving on to the right side of the tank, this time I will be placing plants at the front, right corner. I find the next plant to incorporate into the design.This will be the Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Bronze v. Tropica, designated as “5”. I have two of these so I plant them in close proximity to each other after I trim the roots and check the leaves for damage one more time.

Time to move back to the left side of the tank, again I will be placing them in the corner just like the previous planting. The plant for this area is the Cryptocoryne lutea “4”. Again I have two of these so I plant them in close proximity to each other after I trim the roots and check the leaves for damage.

Two more plants to go from this plan. I place the Ludwigia, Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens) “8” to the right of the Madagascar Lace plant. To the left of the Lace plant I place the Cabomba Purple (Cabomba pulcherrima) “7”, I place these groupings of stems in plant anchors and bury them both in the substrate.

I still have a large bare area to the right of the rock so I get the 3-gallon bucket that contains the plants from the old setup. I remove the Wisteria and place the stems (about 5 of them) individually to the left of the Myrio and directly in front of the Sagittaria. I may decide later to put these in plant anchors as well but for now I am going to keep them like this. Now I take all the smaller crypts (I believe that is what they are) and just place them in a random fashion going from the spot where I stopped the Parva and fill in as well as I can with these little crypts. I put my Anubias to the right of the rock and a couple Aponogeton bulbs behind it.
I may have to rearrange things once they grow out but for now this will be their home.

I have a few Java Fern, windlov and I place them behind the rock on the left side just in front of the Cabomba. Once again, these are just placed until I can see how they will do and for what location they would be better suited.

This completes the setup of this new aquascape. I am exhausted and my feet and back hurt while I set gazing at the now completed layout in awe as to how different it looks with all these plants. That is until I realized it is 3:30 am, time to go to bed.

Here is the finished tank. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

TO THIS………

After 2.JPGAfter 1.JPG

After 2.JPG After 1.JPG

Last edited:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That's a lot of details! And SO much crypt parva!!! :drool: Great job and WTG, that's a lot of planting! I'll say it again that M lace is just stunning, it even looks like it flowing so perfectly! Let us know how those plant anchors work out.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Are you going to add a background?

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father’s Day. EI Dosing begins today. I will dose in the mornings before going to work as the lights won’t be coming on until noon and will run for 8 hours a day. I will be doing the 50% water changes on Saturday.

My dosing schedule is: Tsp

Macro - Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday

KNO3 - 1.25
K2SO4 - 1.00

Micro - Monday, Wednesday, Friday

CSM +B - .50

50% Water change Saturday

I tried to link to my calculator but it wouldn't let me. This is from an Excel spreadsheet that I made for my calculations. Hope you can read it. Anybody see any problems with this?

Monday, June 17, 2013

Today I added the Micro to the tank before lights on. This is the first dose of Micro ferts that I have used since beginning my EI dosing regimen.

After getting no response from Aquariumplants.com I suddenly realized I had emailed them using a response to the order confirmation. I decided it was probably a unmanned email account since it was for order confirmations so I called them and this time I got someone to answer the phone. After I explained the problem they investigated and confirmed they sent the wrong plan getting it mixed up with another order. He explained that he makes all plans according to the plants used and I could just use the plan I had but spread them out more. I wanted to verify the locations so they are going to redraw the plan, ship it out and refund my money since it was their fault. I received a refund email within the hour. I can’t wait to get the plan to compare it to how I actually put the plants in the tank. Thank you for the great service.

I calibrated the Ph probe tonight and placed it in the tank to see what my Ph really registers. It is 8.2, so I guess my test kit is pretty close.

Parameters today: I know we aren't supposed to need to check these with EI but I wanted to check just to see what is going on so far.

Using API test kits

Ph – 8.2 Using Ph Probe
Kh – 17 drops
Gh – 2 drops
Nitrates – 40

I haven’t gotten the CO2 hooked up yet because I am a little concerned with the parameters (Kh) and starting the CO2, don’t want anything to cause problems with the fish. I need feedback to settle my nerves on this issue before I start the CO2 up. Should I use the RO that I have available for part of the water changes? I am also trying to get everything together for a DIY drop checker.

I finally found my TDS meter so I checked my tap, tank, and RO water. I haven’t used it for quite some time so I am thinking it needs to be calibrated.

TDS – Tap – 339 (Well Water)
Tank – 778
RO – 52 I am pretty sure these cartridges need changed

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I constructed the drop checker tonight. Letting the sealant dry tonight, will see if it is water tight tomorrow. Just remembered I forgot to check the Ammonia level yesterday. It is at .25. I also forgot to clean the filter when I did this rescape so I will do that tomorrow night.

It looks like a lot of the leaves are starting to melt on the crypts but from what I have read this is expected. The lace plant also has leaves that are turning brown at the tops.

I need to get the CO2 started. Does anybody see any problem starting it with the Kh as high as it is? Will the CO2 help lower it or cause other problems or do I need to use the 50/50 RO for the water changes?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated?

Last edited:

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Really great job and a beautiful tank! I think you should consider a solid color background....it will make your plants pop even more. All you need is poster board and tape! I like black....but blue is nice too!
Can't wait to see it fill in!

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
Really great job and a beautiful tank! I think you should consider a solid color background....it will make your plants pop even more. All you need is poster board and tape! I like black....but blue is nice too!
Can't wait to see it fill in!
I have been thinking of putting a piece of black something behind it. Will have to look into it more this weekend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store