New around here, and to keeping a aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ashncarson

AC Members
Jun 20, 2013
I thought I would introduce my self tonight! This journey started with wanting to find a larger tank for my son's betta. As he was in a 1.5 gallon and the water temperature was way to low and he was not longer doing much, at that time I did not realize what all betta's really need compared to what is sold for them. A relative had this tank, just about 30 gallons and so we bought it, with fish and plastic decor.

The fish that they already had where 2 blind cave fish, 3 different types or tetras and a platy. Not knowing to much and just starting out we added our betta to the tank, only to find all his fins gone that morning! We felt awful but where able to nurse him back! Its been a few months now and his fins are almost all grown back, and he now has some red in him as well and he seems very happy! We got rid of all the fish that where in the old tank, except for the platy and slowly added new ones.

The tank currently has a small divider where Kipper the betta lives, but next week we will be getting his own 10 gallon tank in our daughters room and will work on moving him when its ready! I know he will love this and it will allow me to open the whole tank up to the platies!

The tank has amazon sword tail horn-wort, java moss and another plant (not sure of the name) I am hoping to add more plants soon to both tanks, there is also driftwood. We have assassin snails to take care of the MTS we got with the plants and now have assassin eggs. We had a few platy fry but they did not survive

I am still learning, especially with water testing and learning in and outs of having a larger tank.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

2013-06-20_22-27-59_410.jpg

2013-06-20_22-27-59_410.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Sounds good to me! Im glad to hear tgat your looking into this hobby and this forum is a great place to start :) Also im happy to hear that your your checking your water parameters and learning new things. The betta will enjoy his new home very much. Are you planing to add any fish in the tank with him? If so try to avoid fin-nippers as they will attack your betta. Btw, welcome to AC!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ashncarson

AC Members
Jun 20, 2013
Thanks for the welcome!

My daughter and I where browsing the pet store last night and asking about setting up the new tank. The own guy we talked to, who seems to know a lot about fish was telling us about his personal option about some different types of fish we could do with the Betta, but after having him injured once I am a bit nervous to try it again! He suggested panda corie (I know they have to be in groups, and I thought 10 gallons would be to small) or guppies (I thought with the fins they might attack each other) my daughter personally thinks that neon tetras are pretty but I read that they die often....Just not sure!

In the 29 gallon I will then have 9 platies by them selves . I picked up a new one last night, a blue mickey mouse one but she is not looking good. not much swimming and sometimes on her side. The water tested good last night but its been a week since a partial water change so I did a bit this morning. I have hopes for her! 2 males, 7 females is what is in there.

we are letting nature take it course as far as babies go, there is one small one I know of now that might last if he does not go to the betta side again (small gap on the divider)

I would like to see about possibly adding another type of fish, I am just not sure what kind that might be...any ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store