Rena Filstar XP2 leaking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
I cleaned the filter on my 75 gallon tank last night. It started back up without any trouble at all. It was fine when I went to bed and this morning before I went to work. I just got home and was looking at the tank, checking out the rescape to see how it was doing when I noticed that I could here water spashing into the tank from the spray bar. This is when I noticed that 5 gallons of water is missing from the tank. Upon further investigation, I determined that the filter motor area is full of water. When I put my hands in the handle area it is full of water and just running out. Anybody have this happen before. Anything I can do to fix it or do I need to new motor?
:angryfire::jaw::mad:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You might need a new gasket. Or you might need to pull the one you have completely out and reinstall it properly. It probably got a bit out of place when you removed the motor housing and then got pinched or twisted when you reinstalled the housing.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting coincidence. Two threads created within 4 hours of each other, about Rena Filstar XP with leaks. Different leaks, but still.

kimbm04r

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
Warsaw, IN.
Real Name
Myra
Anybody have any experience with Marineland C Series canister filters. I bought one last night, C360, to replace this filter. I thought I was never going to get it primed and running. I finally had to put water from the tank in the canister and then try to prime the intake hose and through to the outfeed hose and run it while it was feeding to the outfeed to get it to finally run, while I was pumping the primer button. I hope it is easier to restart after cleaning than it is at original start up. I am going to let it run for a day and then shut it down and do a "cleaning" to see how it does. I bought it at Petsmart and they said I could take it back for a full refund, no questions asked, if it didn't work out for me. Time will tell.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You don't pump the primer button. Press, hold, release. Press, hold, release. I have an Aquatop which, aside from color and inclusion of UV filter, is shaped the exact same in every part that I have seen, as that C-360.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Yes.

Mash - hold... Then release.

-OR- if you're feeling frisky, loosen the top of the canister after a few press/hold/releases to purge out the air. Gotta be quick though because it happens FAST.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I actually did have this happen to me before (Rena issue), totally baffled me as to HOW water would accumulate in the little handle area first and would overflow from there. I still don't know for sure what caused it or how I fixed it because I torn the darn thing apart. :) Check and make sure the main o-ring between the motor head and body is situated correctly like subrosa suggests. If that doesn't work just check the whole thing over from top to bottom even the input and outputs. If you now longer want it just send it my way. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store