Blue Jaw Triggerfish not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Looks healthy&happy, swims around. I've had him over a week now and I haven't seen him eat once! Weird for a "Piggerfish," my Humu and Niger would eat a cheeseburger whole if I dropped one in the tank.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Have you tried a 1/2 shell clam on the bottom?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Or live ghost shrimp??

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Try some live ghost shrimp. If it eats those then you can get a brackish water tank setup and breed them. They will only spawn in brackish water if im not mistaken

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Some will breed in fresh, but ghosties have a larval stage, so you gotta culture rotifers, I think. Seems like a lot of work for getting ghosties if you can get them cheaply.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The important thing is to get him eating anything. Once that happens, getting him to eat prepared foods should be no problem. I don't think I have ever seen a trigger refuse any kind of meaty food.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Update: tried clams, no success. Tried ghost shrimp. Success...once they slowed down, that is. Too fast for all 3 triggers and the moray! I guess they'll get the hang of it...

But...I CAUGHT HIM SNEAKING FOOD! He actually eats a lot, he seems to wait for his turn I guess.. I think I've got it figured out...the eel&other two triggers shred&kill first, they gorge, then they settle down and ignore whatever food is left over. Twenty minutes later the Bluejaw is getting all the remaining scraps up.

Is this an okay eating-habit...? I mean, I guess someone's gotta finish the leftovers...Just wanna be sure he's healthy and not starving..

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Its should be fine. Would be the same in the wild. The strong eat first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store