How do I recover from a tank wipe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
So I had my 29 g SW tank up and running thanks to the great help I got here and things had been going fine for months. I was working the kinks out of a top off schedule and running into some issues with my water change system (due to a weak water pump) but other than that, things were fine. Then I come home late last week and everything in the tank is dead. My two clownfish are dead. My mushroom coral is dead. Everything is dead. In investigating I find the temperature in the tank is 90+ because one or both of my heaters malfunctioned (both had nice glowing lights on them) and killed everything.

So I spent the weekend cleaning it up and I'm thinking I'm just going to replace both heaters to be safe. I'm wondering if there's anything I could've done to prevent this. Also, what's the best way to recover. Once I replace the heaters should I just go out and buy more livestock or should I let it sit for a week or three and treat it like it's a brand new tank again?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Brand new tank. This is my biggest fear in setting up a saltwater tank. Almost everything is expensive compared to freshwater, where almost nothing is expensive.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Very sorry to hear this.

A temperature controller would have saved the tank...

http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html

You will want to empty the tank via 100% water change and test as if you are cycling again. Chances are there was a decent amount of ammonia produced from the livestock as well as bacteria die off from the high temp.

Again, sorry this happened.
This is good or if you can swing an extra $60 I belive the reef keeper lite has temp probe you can use to control your heater, leaving you with 3 other controllable outlets for either lighting or wavemakers.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Brand new tank. This is my biggest fear in setting up a saltwater tank. Almost everything is expensive compared to freshwater, where almost nothing is expensive.
This was my fear too. I've poured way more money into just this 29g tank than I have any FW tank I've owned I think. Now it seems I need all kinds of gadgets to toss into this tank. I really loved that pair of clowns though and the soft corals as well. Looks like I'm looking into a temperature controller as well now. I have a trip out of town in about 2 weeks. I may wait until after then.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
I had a tank get wiped out before as well. Sorry to hear about yours. I did start over and learned from my mistakes. +1 with what Greech said. I do like the Reef Keeper lite like TL1000RSquid suggested. It was some of the best money I have spent in this expensive hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store