Blue dolphin mouth full of eggs? Now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Finally.

Now what should I do. Should I separate her from the rest? There 6 dolphins total. And it seems like there's a lot of aggression at times. I've lost a couple dolphins in the process.

And the tank I separate her in. Can it be a bare bottom tank? She's about 4-5 inches.

I have an empty 20L I bought today. I can put a cycled penguin 350 on it. But should I decorate the tank? Or what?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I would not remove her you will more than likely stress her to the point where she will spit her eggs or eat them, plus a 20gal would be too stressful for her, leave her in the main tank, if you have plenty of rocks and caves some of the fry will make it, If you are concerned and want to save more than usual amount of fry then i would recommend that you strip her, google stripping fry from a cichlid you should get enough info on how to..

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Well. I started a thread on MFK and everyone said they thought it was a good idea. She's already been separated into the 20g as of last night.

She spit 2 of the eggs when i first got her with the net. but i figured she might do that. But as of this morning she seems fine, not stressed and free swimming in the middle with a mouth full. It's not like she's hiding from me or anything.

So we will see. At least I know she is safe. It's my first time so....

Trial and error. Wish me luck!

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Good luck and its always a trial and error when it comes to aquariums and fish, hell i have had people tell me it was impossible to only find out that it worked perfectly fine.. When it comes to this hobby nothing is ever a guarantee.. It boils down to personal opinions..

If it is working just keep on doing what your doing..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You were lucky she didn't spit or swallow the eggs in the process of taking her out. Next time I would wait 15 to 18 days since holding eggs; so that if she spits, there will be mature fry that you may raise easily and she will not swallow them. Just my humble opinion.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Now the question is since she is by herself should I let her hold them full term? Or should I strip her around 15-18 days.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would let her complete the holding term now. Then I would remove her after she spits all the fry by herself.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If you want to practice on stripping a fish then yeah so that you do not have to remove her next time..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store