Black Molly | Fungus treatment question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
I got a Black Molly with what I think is "Black Molly Disease (?)" or Fungas. White-ish patches that have been spreading all over his body slowly. Anyways, I decided to purchase a separate 1 gallon $20 tank that came with everything tank that I could use for a treatment tank. I filled it with water from the 10 gallon tank all of our fish are in. Then put a foam filter in and split the API Fungas Treatment packet into 10th's and put a 1/10th of the packet in since it said 1 packet for 10 gallons (turning the water green).

My question. I thought you remove the normal filter because of the carbon but the back of the pack says remove the carbon or filter and leave aeration. So, am I supposed to not use a foam filter either and just leave the filter pump running without the filter at all or what?

I've been leaving the foam filter in like stated but just want to verify I'm doing it right.

Thanks!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just the carbon. Carbon is an adsorbent, I think it's called, and removes chemicals from the water. Since you *want* the chemicals in the water, it impedes treatment. Leaving your other media is fine, and aeration is important. Just be sure to remove carbon or any other adsorbent, such as Purigen, until the medicine's instructions tell you to put it back. Medicating is the only reason I actually have carbon. I don't use it on a regular basis.

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
Awesome, thanks for the info!

It doesn't seem my Fungus treatment is too successful. I must have been wrong on what it is being a newbie and all :(

Incase anyone has any other treatment ideas I've attached an image. Fish wasn't behaving well to be photographed and the water is green from the treatment but you can see the patches that are slowly spreading on him. They look more white-ish in person then in the image.

The water I've had nailed pretty good on my numbers except we had an algae bloom or something so I had to put some algae killer to get rid of it which worked pretty fast. Not sure if that could have given him issues? But it hadn't been in there for a couple weeks and the problem kept progressing.

molly.jpg

molly.jpg

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
Anybody?

I guess my next step is a broad spectrum. Hopefully that isn't too many meds in a row for him...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store