Glass tops for rounded corner tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Hello there, I just bought a 48" t5 fixture for my 100gal aquarium. It doesnt work with my current hood so my choices are either topless, go to glass workshop and have them cut me something (assuming they can cut rounded corners), or buying something brand name (which I have no problems with). So far the plan is for it to be heavily planted with floating plants. Other than buying a custom size piece of glass at a glass shop, are their any brands out there that sell glass tops for 48" X 18" tanks with 2 front rounded corners? (If not) Can a glass workshops cut glass with 2 rounded corners?

-Ryan

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Pretty sure if you supplied a glass shop with a template, they can cut to fit for you.

I never tried to band-saw plexiglass, but that can be round cut.

Egg crate 2'x4' troffer light diffusers are also a possibility. You could maybe use a hacksaw blade to shape those.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
For a planted tank (IMO) there should be no top anyway, it just cuts off too much light. My two tanks are topless.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You had to say topless as I gazed over at your avatar.. Gawd I miss Shannon from Lost. LOL!!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
if you're going to use egg crate to hold up the light system, it's a lot easier to cut the plastic with pruning shears or heavy scissors than to try with a saw. the plastic is pretty brittle so it snaps either where you apply the pressure or at the nearest intersection of the bars to where you are stressing it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store