Got saltwater in my eletrical outlet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I was moving some LR I have in bucket and while I was moving one of the hoses on my carbon/GFO reactor came slightly loose and sprayed some salt water near the area of the electrical outlet. It didn't get completely soaked but I'm sure some did get in. There was no sparks or smoke or anything but I heard a buzzing sound coming from the outlet for a few minutes. The sound is gone and there is nothing plugged into it atm.

Do I need to take any further steps on this besides waiting a day or 2 to use the outlet again?

trkchezz

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Might want to replace to be safe. Anything you plug in might get corrosion on the future. Easier to spend $5 and 15 mins now then have something go very wrong down the road.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You might want to consider replacing outlets near the tank with GFCI outlets, and getting 'child safe' covers for any outlets that aren't in use. It won't completely stop water from getting in, but it definitely helps with a spray situation.

If this were FW, you would likely be fine just letting it dry fully. For wall outlets, turning off that breaker for a day or 2 if possible would be best. Since it's saltwater, even after the water evaporates off, salt will remain and it will corrode metal inside the outlet as well as on anything plugged in. Not good.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Yea u guys are right. Def don't want to chance anything. Im just gonna replace the outlet.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store