Help/Advise with False Julii/Three Stripe Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ceratopian

Registered Member
Jul 2, 2013
Hi,
I'm new to the whole aquarium thing and got 3 "julii" cories from petco a couple days ago. I have a new 10 gallon partially planted tank - maybe not quite cycled? - I used caribsea's instant aquarium gravel (setup for 48 hours) and a whole bottle of tetra safe start (30 minutes before) when I put them in there. I read the API test as 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrate. (Am I right?) One of the smaller ones seemed to be pretty pink (the whole underside) but I thought it would perk/clear up. Now all three seem to be pretty pink, especially around the gills and appear to be breathing heavily. There's also some sort of green/gold glint on the gills. The very pink one became very lethargic and the other two are active - or panicked. I'm not sure if I ever saw the lethargic one eat and am getting very worried. Is this normal? Or disease, like velvet?
I did try to search and look around but I'm not sure. The links are to pics to be clear.
Thanks for reading.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Step one, do a water change. Right now. Come back and read more after you're done. No, really, water change. Get to it.

I would guess it's irritation from ammonia on a new tank. API liquid test kit or test strips? Test again. What are the pH (it's possible you have some hinky value that could be causing problems, but it's unlikely) and temp? What were the dosing directions on the Safe Start? I know for Seachem Stability, and I think for the API version as well, it's not a whole bottle dosing, it's an amount, and then a different amount daily for however long the dosing period is. What are you trying to feed? Did you acclimate the fish? Did you dechlorinate the water in the tank? Is the tank filtered?

ceratopian

Registered Member
Jul 2, 2013
Unfortunately, I'm at work right now but I will test the water again/water change when I get home. I did do a 50% water change yesterday just in case.

I didn't notice that the forum does some auto-links. Sorry.

Let me try to embed the pics.
tumblr_mpaaelwqWO1swwd8xo4_1280.jpg This is the API test yesterday when I got home. Tested again this morning before leaving for work and it was the same.
tumblr_mpaaelwqWO1swwd8xo2_1280.jpgThis is the pink one - pink even in the bag he came home in.
tumblr_mpaaelwqWO1swwd8xo1_1280.jpgThese are the other two. Not very pink but some of the green/gold glint can be seen.

pH is 7.6 as of yesterday.
Temp is 78F
Safestart dosing directions were to empty the entire contents. Bottle was for 15-30 gallons I believe. I've read online that you can't overdose and it's better than underdosing.
I left 2 hikari sinking wafer 2 days ago and a little less than a half of hikari algae wafer and 1 wardley sinking shrimp pellet yesterday.
I acclimated the fish by adding one small cup (I cut a solo plastic cup into a 1/3) of aquarium water every 10 minutes 3 times then put in 1 cup aquarium water, take out 2 cups bag water (into bucket - not back to aquarium) every 10 minutes 3 times, then net into aquarium.
I declorinated the tank with the packet that came with the instant aquarium gravel. I also added a cup of API stress coat just to be sure. It was left running for 48 hours before adding the safestart. The tank is filtered with Aquaclear 30 (bought when I thought I had gotten a 15 gallon - I was lied to) on lowest setting and baffled output.

tumblr_mpaaelwqWO1swwd8xo4_1280.jpg tumblr_mpaaelwqWO1swwd8xo2_1280.jpg tumblr_mpaaelwqWO1swwd8xo1_1280.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store