Interesting Observation on Pearl Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
This may be well known but I was surprised!

I have a pair of pearl gourami in my 40B, they are some of my very favorite fish. I have a lot of floating plants and the male used to make bubble nests all the time. However, I got a vampire pleco back in October and since then I've seen no bubble nests. Although the pleco has always seemed very gentle, I wondered if adding him to the tank messed up territories or something so that the male gourami didn't feel like making bubble nests anymore.

Anyway, this winter I kept that tank at about 74 degrees to save electricity and also it has cories and killifish which appreciate lower temps. However, this latest heatwave came on and since I don't have AC, my house has been about at 95 degrees for almost a week :irked: I've got a fan on the tank to help keep it cool but the water temperature has risen to 83 most afternoons.

Well, apparently this was what the gourami was waiting for! I noticed on Saturday that the male looked FABULOUS - really bright orange and a lot of iridescence in his spots, even his fin rays are brightly colored. He was also acting really amorous with the female, who appears to be swollen with eggs. And he's making bubble nests again! :)

I'm not going to keep this tank in the 80s on purpose, but it was good to know that all that happened last October was the drop in temp. And also good to know that if I ever want to try and get him all "spawny" I apparently have to raise temp. .

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool observation.

I love pearl gouramis too. I've got a female in my 55. I've only had her ~6mo, but she's good sized and one of my favorite fish.

That's great your tank only got up to 83 in a 95F house. We've got no a/c and my 55 easily gets w/in 5deg of what the house temp is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store