Returning to Fish keeping with Fluval Edge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Been out of the hobby for a few years now, but spotted this tank while visiting my LFS and decided it was too slick to not buy. I've literally just finished setting it up with Eco Complete substrate, a piece of slate, and a few small pre-packaged live plants I got at petco. (The ones with the jelly around the roots).

Any other tank I've had, I've used a fishy cycle with black skirt tetras to obtain my beneficial bacteria. Now the opening to this tank is small, and you have to drain some water out before you can even stick your hand in there. Therefore, I'd like to go for the fish-less cycle, because whatever goes in this tank isn't coming out.

I'm dechlorinated and at proper temperature. Was going to let things go until Saturday and perform my first water test. I'm planning on doing so once a week every Saturday until things start happening.

I guess I just wanted to know if there's something I'm missing. Keep ammonia down with partial water changes, nitrite boost, nitrites subside as nitrates appear. Aim to keep nitrates around 20ppm...

Am I missing anything?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What are you using for an ammonia source to start the cycle?

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
What are you using for an ammonia source to start the cycle?
I haven't introduced any ammonia. I was under the impression I needed to keep ammonia at 0, but it's been a while and now that you mention it, it seems pretty logical that ammonia would need to be present to achieve the nitrite spike. What would you recommend I use bishop? Where is an ideal parameter in ppm to have ammonia at when starting the cycle?

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Just a quick update on my fish-less cycle:

6G Fluval Edge/Planted

Dosed tank with pure ammonia and have reached a 4-5ppm reading which has held for a little less than 48 hours. If anything, the shade of orange (Hagen's Nutrifin Ammonia Test) has subsided a shade so I added another half-eye dropper full of ammonia. Did a nitrite test just for kicks; 0ppm.

The cloudiness from the initial fill has disappeared completely. Eco-complete substrate is definitely the only way to go.

I've become more excited about growing this BB from scratch than I was to have fish.

image.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks great!

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Thanks Bishop.

Ok so after two more days, ran my ammonia test and am showing shy of 5ppm, but not enough where I want to dose any more ammonia for fear of bringing it too high. Didn't bother with the nitrite test, won't run that again until significant drops in ammonia start to occur. I generally wouldn't post such a fruitless update, but I have a concern with a species of plant in the tank. I'm not sure what it is, it was packaged at Petco and had gel on the roots. My LFS isn't due for a fresh shipment of live plants until next week, so I just got these temporarily to help along the cycle.

My concern is the hair-like material coming out of the top. Any idea what it is?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1373228037.433894.jpg

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Well after a days work, I just tested my water and am showing 5ppm ammonia. (dosed a little too much last night for I've missed the 3ppm mark Rbishop toId me to aim for) Also, low and behold, I ran another nitrite test for fun and I've got 1.5-2ppm nitrites! I never thought I'd be so excited to see purple water :) Those guys came on a little earlier than expected.

Now, I should expect ammonia to start dropping correct? I'll run both ammonia and nitrite tests nightly starting 24 hours from now and try to maintain the 3ppm of ammonia suggested in Bishop's cycling thread.

Ah, a few steps closer to stocking.
Happy fish keeping everyone :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
the hairs look like algae or fungus...is it still there? Can you use a baster to suck it away?

Ammonia may continue to drop, or may hang steady for a bit...you can have readings of both ammonia and nitrites for quite some time. There are lots of variables to how quickly the populations will establish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store