owner of my first 30 gallon aquarium.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chriryan85

Registered Member
Jul 4, 2013
peterborough ontario
Real Name
ryan christensen
hello my name is ryan from peterborough ontario.

I own a 30 gallon fresh water aquarium i have had it for 4 days and did the fish in cycle. before that i owned a 10 gallon community friendly aquarium with angels platties and tetras.

I own a moonlight gourami a black red tail shark and a common plec. it is a semi aggressive community but i dont really consider a gourami and a red tail black shark and an algae plec semi aggressive community.

nice too be a member hoping to enjoy the posts on this forum. my question is if i got my self another moonlight would my current moonlight be more active. and also would my red tail shark be more active if i gave it more hide outs.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

chriryan85

Registered Member
Jul 4, 2013
peterborough ontario
Real Name
ryan christensen
my pleco died no fault of my own lastnight only had it a week prob stress i rehomed the moonlight gourami too a big live plant aquarium where he will prob be happier with my friend. so i only have the red tail shark whos very active now at night and seems to be doing well. im planning on getting 4 cichlids prob to electric yellow and 2 acei all juvenile babies available on sale for 4.49 at petsmart. but as of right now i only have a single redtail tested the water and watched him for scratching against the castle ordiment and gravel looked for white spots non present water tested perfect im saying the pleco was either ill already or something its not my tank. my sharks happy swimming around playing with the filter current no sign of fin disorders looks healthy and normal. the pleco had no signs of illness either when i examined the body. im saying stress. anyway how will the redtail react too the cichlid juveniles will he go back into hiding when i first got him or will he stay active.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Hi and Welcome! Just to clarify, you did a fish in cycle and have had the tank set up for only 4 days?? If so, there is no way your tank is cycled, you are still cycling. Cycling takes at least 4 weeks, usually more around 6-8 weeks, depending on if it's fish/fish less, if you see it with filter media, gravel, etc. from an established tank, etc. If the tank has only been set up for four days, please wait to buy anymore fish until you are done cycling.

Anyway. you said your water tested perfect. Any idea what the exact numbers were for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, along with pH?

As for the redtail shark with the 4 cichlids, I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST this set up. Mbuna cichlids (which acei and yellow/electric are) need a set up where there is tons of rock work territory, and typically where it is overstocked/stocked highly to control aggression. From what I've read, you would want at least 5 of each, and for them to be in a ratio of 1 male to every 4 females. I've also read that the acei will grow to be 7" which is pretty large for a 36" tank. Mbuna cichlids in general as a species are *mostly* very aggressive/territorial, and it's a hit or miss if they'd be okay with the shark. I've been doing some reading, and some people are saying yes, others are saying no that he'll get picked on. You could try it, but I'd make sure you have a plan b in case it doesn't work out. :)

Unless you plan to rehome the shark as a back up plan if they don't get along, make tons of caves/rock work for the cichlids, and do a mbuna cichlid only tank with 2-4x the recommended filtration, (i.e using two filters rated 30-60 gallons each), then I would not get the cichlids.

As for the shark himself, he would be more active with more decor/hiding spots, as are most fish. The more places they have to hide, the safer they feel and the more they come out.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
The shark will no doubt be a hit or miss situation with cichlids. If it does indeed turn out to be a "hit" situation then the shark will most likely have "adopted" an agressive temperment IME. I had one with an oscar and a jack dempsey and it was picked on but survived and thrived but once i tries to switch it to a semi agressive setup it was agressive towards every fish. So i had to rehome him unfortunately. I would personally take the shark out of the equation and maybe reconsider your stocking a little bit. There are other species of african cichlids that work work better in your tank such as shell dwellers. Wish you the best and welcome to AC :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store