fish dieing for no reason

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
I'm not sure why but over the past 3 days or so I've lost my female sailfin molly and all but 2 of the fry she had on saturday night. Everything is normal in the tank and none of the premators have changed since. I have no idea what's going on with these guys. :confused:

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
There is always a reason for fish dying. Why don't you post the parameters, tank size, other fish, etc. if you want help.

With the info you provided my guess is that there are invisible vampire fish (Vampryus fishieus, of the invisible strain) in your tank sucking your molly and fry dry, causing them to perish. I could be wrong, but I won't know till we get some more info.:D

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
it's a 10 gallon with 4 other fish: 2 black mollies and a female betta and the male sailfin. the babies were on the other side of a divider and the betta was in a different area. the pH is about 7.8 or so there is little to no ammonia in the tank.

FISHGUY_CA

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Wiinipeg, MB Canada
Visit site
Some advice about mollies for you :)

times darkred

Dear Onna,
First of all, I have several ideas why you're little guys are dying on you :( One reason is because you should never buy any ank under 20 gallons as a natural balance is VERY hard to maintain in a tank that small. You'll never have proper heating because in tanks that small, the lighting is usually incandescent which can raise the water temp by 10 degrees in a small 10-15 gallon tank. It's just too hard to maintain and raise fish in a tank that size because you will find yourself either constantly maintaining it everyday such as water changes to maintain the clarity and purity of the water and proper ph levels. Also when a fish dies and remains in the tank, it causes a ph spike in the water and will cause the other fish to become irrate towards each other when they realize hey, what's going on here this water is too hot and I don't feel so hot now. One other reason they could be dying on you is because mollies are VERY sensitive to lighting and if you leave your lights on more than 10 hours a day, algae will be a constant problem not only having to remove it, but also having the problem of brown slime algae due to too much light during the day. The best thing to do is to leave the lights in your tank on in 10 hour cycles everyday, turning the lights on at around 6-7 pm and shutting them off when you wake up or at 4-5 am, allowing natural sunlight to fall on the tank during the day but making sure the tank is not in direct sunlight as this will cause you nothing but grief and serious SERIOUS algae problems. Another thing you HAVE to make sure of is when the molly fry are in a divider or a fry pod ( a little plastic device which sits in the top corner of your tank) that the water doesn't get too warm because yes fry pods can be useful to save the babies from predators, however they provide no ventilation whatsoever and the water becomes stale and stagnant in the pod and this will kill them without any doubt. However the best advice I can give you is to upgrade to a larger tank (20-40 gallons) that way, you'll have the benefit of flourescent lighting and being able to maintain proper heat levels ALOT easier than in your current tank. One other thing about mollies I've heard, they are a brackish water fish and they benefit from adding salt to the aquarium believe it or not. Talk to your local pet store about what kind of salt to use and how much to add into the tank as well they can help you out I'm sure :D I have heard horror stories about mollies being canniballistic when other males go near the females fry, she becomes very sensitive and in the worst case scenarios she will eat most of her fry whih I know is hard to believe, but think of it this way. If you had a newborn child and a bunch of hells angels came into your home when your husband was minding his own business and started trying to have sex with you I'm more than sure desperate measures would have to be taken right ?? :p Onna, best of luck with your Mollies and honestly if I were you, talk to a reputable fish breeder or go onto the net and see if you can find a list of breeders and send them an e-mail and tell them the probs you've been having and make sure you give them all info about when they were born and how they looked and your tank specs ok ??? Take it easy and if you wanna let me know what happens, my e-mail is high_flyer19@hotmail.com if you wanna let me know when you get some time :) Take it easy and like I said before, talk to a dealer about it they can give some pretty good advice sometimes. Happy fishkeeping Onna and good luck in the future and one other thing I can tell you, NEVER feed your fish more than they eat in ten minutes and always ALWAYS remove any leftovers as uneaten food will also cause the ph levels to rise and always change 20% of the aquarium water in your tank twice a week because if you think about it, fish can't live in the same water day after day for years and years. Bye for now and good luck with your Mollies, I wish you the best and hope your problems do not go on this way :( Bye for now ......

With Best Regards,
FISHGUY_CA

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
They just gave birth?Could be infection from giving birth,10 gal parameters can't change that drastically in 1 night,u had few fishes,not likely to get a ph or ammonia spike,did u put salt in the 10 gal?It could stop the mollies from dying after giving birth,mollies always eat their young if there isn't enough hiding places.

FISHGUY_CA

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i agree slip :rolleyes:

fishguy you just scared me. :D your hearts in the right place though and i know you mean well........

Originally posted by Onna Shinigami
the pH is about 7.8 or so there is little to no ammonia in the tank.
onna, i fail to see the connection here.... ph is ph, not anything else..... do you have ammonia? do you have nitrItes?

until you have those answers i would suggest a water change..... maybe 20-30% to dilute any toxins that could be present, and post back results. maybe a little salt as mentioned..... no more than 1 tblspn per 5g.... live bearers do like it.

edit: another thing, did the fry die or get eaten? fry are very sensative to water changes and problems...... but it wouldn't be unusual for them to just get eaten by something in the tank.

Last edited:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
No offense fishguy, but I'm with slip on this one... :eek:

Tanks under 20 gallons are just as easy to maintain imho... I used to own several tanks under 20 gallons, and never had a problem maintaining them. In actual fact, they took less time than my large tanks do now. I spend a 15 minutes a week maintaining my 15 gallon plant tank, and an hour on my 70 gallon plant tank. The problem with smaller tanks is, its much easier to overstock them compared to larger tanks (although the problem is still there for larger tanks).

Onna Shinigami - what do you mean when you say your water conditions haven't changed? We're going to need much more information from you. The following will be helpful:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Your water changing routine
Filtration
Tank up time

If you do not have the kits to measure these things, get them!

HTH
-Richer

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
I've never had trouble breeding any of my fish before and at the moment only one tank has a heater in it. The lights are on from those times. This tank is an a corner of a room and the only time natural sunlight reaches it is when I pull the curtains back during the day. I've add the same amount of salt to the tank everytime it's filled up or cleaned. I don't think I'd get much help out of the pet stores here except for one. All of my other fish have been doing fine so far, including another batch of babies I have in a different tank from the black with 7 guppies. All of these have done fine over the past 3 4 weeks and no problems. All of the tanks don't need a heater since the house is kept around 70 or so during the day. I've been using ten gallons for quite a while and I've had no trouble maintaining a regular temp and lighting is simple enough to do. I've been wanting to get a bigger tank but that's easier said then done at the moment. The fry were first kept in a fry box with a small amout of air going in it since I know that they don't get much fresh water in and little air. They were later moved to a part of the tank divided off from where the rest of the fish couldn't get them. At the moment I can't move them into the other tank with the rest of the ones I have since the one sponge filter is being used for another tank that needs very little air. I'm doing what I can with the last 2 of about 15 I have left but it doesn't seem like they'll make it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store