Sick Platy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
Hi, my platy seems to have a white gel-like mass (not red or inflammed) sticking out of its anus. Other tank mates include two small juvenile angelfish. I had been treating the tank once a week for the past two weeks with prazipro, as the angelfish were not eating. Now they are eating. The other day after doing a water change I noticed a couple small (barely wiggling) nematodes in the water column. I'm not sure if they are parasitic or not, or if they are camallanus. Fortunately I have some levamisole on hand and dosed the tank last night after I had done 3 25% water changes (with vacuum gravel) during the day. Any thoughts on anything else I could do? The platy ate yesterday morning, but not last night or this morning. The last time (also the first time) I used levamisole my fish didn't eat for a day.Strike.jpgStrike2.jpg

Strike.jpg Strike2.jpg

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Some nematodes are parasitic, but you don't see any worms hanging out of the anus do you?

I'm not an expert or anything, but it looks like a bacterial infection.

You can try something like this to threat it:
Fish Kanamycin Forte Powder (Kanamycin)

kanamycinpowder.jpeg

kanamycinpowder.jpeg

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
An update: Yesterday I was getting concerned and considered euthanizing. The white jelly-like mass grew in size to the size of a pea, and thought I may be too late. However, although she was hiding, her fins were not clamped so I decided to let her be through the night. This morning the mass is gone, now a long strand of white stringy poo. She is now swimming around a bit. I think the levamisole is working, camallanus or not.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
White stringy poo? Withouta picture it's hard to tell, but tapeworm corpses can look like that when they pass.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I didn't even know it was a worm. I thought it was bacteria infection or something.
Yeah, levamisole hcl works very well. I'm glad she feeling better now.

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
Yeah when I removed the "jelly ball" that she finally passed I could see some dead worms in there. she's doing much better. I'll probably retreat 3 weeks after the first dose to kill off any surviving eggs that hatch. I see a ton of them in another tank (bare bottom so it's really easy to see them), so it looks like I'm gonna need to treat all of my tanks just to be safe. Looks like I should now get back into the habit of sterilizing all my buckets/cleaning equipment after cleaning each tank to prevent cross contamination.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I guess that white ball was molding decaying worms?
Kind of nasty now that I think about it -- haha

Yeah, I know how that looks, one of my tanks was bare bottom also, and you can really see them every inch of the glass.
And if you have a moonlight, you can see them swimming all over the place at night.. . and to think we put our hands in the water from time to time -- haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store