Do not buy this product!!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Hi, I'm posting to warn all you people: don't buy the Tetra 200 W heater! So I got this heater with a 29- gallon starter kit. The first few months it worked just fine, kepping the temp. constant at 27 degrees celsius ( 80 fahrenheit i think). By the time summer rolled around, the temp. rocketed to 31 degrees celsius. At first i thought it was the weather, but it wasn't! So one day, the temperature went up to 35 celsius!!!!! (94 f) Right now the heater is at the lowest setting at 29 celsius, which is fine for my platies. I'm afraid the baby fish in the tank didn't survive, though...:wall: Anyways, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!! Learn the easy way and not the way i did!!!!!!

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
I agree that their heaters are not reliable. I learned this also when I bought that same kit a few years ago and it almost cooked my Angelfish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Tetra is just one of many brands in United Pet Group...which includes Marineland, maker of some of the most popular (and formerly one of the most reliable) heaters. Have you contacted them about this? It's unlikely they don't know about the issue, but in case they don't, it would make them aware of it...and who knows, they may send you a replacement or a voucher for a different heater.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Tiger, that 200w heater is too big for a 29g tank in moderate climates. I'd drop down to a 100w for a 29g.

I've had heaters stick on, which is why I always size them to the minimum/low end on wattage. You're blaming a product, when IMO, this is mostly a sizing issue.

The little ~25watt on my 10g can stick on if I don't pull the power before doing water changes.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I think it is probably a mix of a faulty heater and one that is too large for the tank. If the heater was working properly, it should have shut off before it reached almost 94*. I agree that you do need a smaller heater too, when they put the kits together, they don't always take into account the ambient temperature of the room and things like that. Just my two cents here.

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
use a controller to turn off/on your heater and the heater settings as a backup.
Set the heater to turn off 3-5 deg higher than the controller settings. Never rely on the heater markings, but use a reliable thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Wow can't believe I missed the part where you said the heater was 200 watts. I'm tired so yeah lol

I believe I got a 75 or 100 watt heater (Aqueon brand) for the 30 kit I had, not 200, that's too much for a 29g and even at the lowest setting will overheat the tank fast.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Oh okay thanks guess I shouldn't blame Tetra then!:lol: The rule of thumb is 3-5 watts per gallon right? So 87-195 watts is okay? Correct me if I'm wrong this is just a crappy mental calculation

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Oh and I read that if you get a large heater it'll be fine... it'll just turn on less often. :wall: Now I'm mad...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store