Can I keep an electric yellow lab by itself in a 20 gallon high tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
I am probably going to re-setup my 20 gallon tank. I've always wanted an electric yellow lab. Can it be by itself with no other fish?:huh: If not then can a firemouth?

Last edited:

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
The labs really do like to be with at least 1 or 2 other labs. With that being said I really would not recommend it even though the lab probably could survive. They will also most likely out grow that 20 gallon really fast because they grow quickly. I am not experienced with the fire mouth but I can assure you at a max size of 6" it will outgrow that tank.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Since you have specific species in mind, a quick bit of googling on those species show that minimum tank sized recommended for the labs is 50, and the convicts is 30.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
A pair of Kribensis would work.. Usually a pet shop employee can tell the difference between sex on them..

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If you can get a 29 gallon tank, you might be able to do yellow labs in that. A 40 breeder will definitely work for yellow labs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store