Please help me! My angelfish is dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angelmist83

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Lufkin, Texas
Visit site
I used to be a member here but lost my old user name password and frankly didn't have the time to bother looking for them because of this sudden emergency.......I'm soo distraught I don't know what to do! I have two adult angelfish that I have had for about two and a half years now. One of them, named "monster" is very sick and dying right now before my eyes! I am so attacehd to these fish I don't know what I will do!!! He seems to be having a lot of problems breathing and when I had the filter running he was swirling around in the current, he isn't swimming very well, not moving much, and even was floating around on his sides, not straight up like he is supposed to swim. I turned off the filter and put in some melafix...I'm sure that won't do much.....but if anybody knows ANY WAY I can save monster.....I will be eternally in your debt.......I just caught this about 5 minutes ago, yesterday monster seemed fine. I'm willing to do anything to try to save him.... I have never been so distraught over a fish before but I am SO attached to my angels :( I'm in tears right now please please someone.........

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
well i would reccommend keeping the filter running. you shouldn't turn it off... the bacteria will suffocate, and also the fish will need lots of oxygen in his time of need.

do you have a hospital tank to move him to? or a floating isolation box?

do you see any external marks? signs of parasites?

what size is the tank? what other fish? any new additions?

temp change? did you change his diet?

2 1/2 years isnt too old for an angel. i dont think he will be dying of old age.

-Diana

angelmist83

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Lufkin, Texas
Visit site
Thank you for replying Diana. I don't have a tank to move him into just the one 29 gallon tank with my other fish. There are two pictus catfish and one other angelfish in there. No new additions, no temp change or change of diet. Yes I don't think its old age either.

He does have some brownish/golden spots on his back, like near his fin...they seem to be part of his natural color but they are more predominant than they used to be. The other angelfish has the same coloring except its on his fin instead of his body and he is healthy. I couldn't really say if that goldish spotting is new or has always been there... it appears to be normal.

Could this be some kind of internal thing, like with the swim bladder? Since he can't swim well...? Or do you think those spots are something bad?

All of the fish are peaceful and don't bother eachother. But if I need to remove him I can put him in some sort of temporary container. Please let me know what you guys think.

Oh I can take a pic of the spots I'm talking about if that might help!!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Hmm... i think i know what you mean about the spots. I have a gold angel, and she has darkish spots on her face and head... but its part of her natural coloring.

there may be a swimbladder problem, like you said. but because he's gasping it makes me think he's in shock or there is something wrong with the water.

did you just reccently do a water change?

pierre_john

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Smithers, BC, Canada
I can totally relate to you when you say you are distraught and very attached to you angel fish. Sounds to me that your fish has an internal problem or bacterial problem. You should never shut you filter off, as this can cause toxic problems once you start it up again. I would put an air to the tank for oxygen and the melafix does great work with fish too. (I love this product). I would check everything out to find out what caused the problem. Good Luck and I hope that you can save your fish friend.

angelmist83

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Lufkin, Texas
Visit site
Thank you both for your advice.....unfortunatley my fish died today. :( I am sad but I have realized I need to spend more time making sure my fishy friends are healthy so this won't happen again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store