Algae Identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Wow! Very cool looking stuff. Macroalgae? Bryozoan? I'd keep it, but I have no idea whether it will become a plague or not.

I have a macroalgae book at home, and will try to remember to look it up when I get home.

Can you put a bigger image on aquatic photos?

Matt W

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
codewalkers.com

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Yeah, I guess any plant is a pest if it's growing in the wrong spot. The closest match I could find was Heterosiphonia gibbessii, which "grows to about 20 cm tall in sunny, wave-protected, shallow waters (less than 6 m deep) on hard substrates." Google didn't have any decent images, but it has the same appearance of tufts at the ends of sparse branches.

In my experience, macroalgae can be hard to transplant, but you might try lodging it in a crack to see if it takes.

It might be worth pm'ing plantbrain. He has been getting seriously into marine macroalgae.

Last edited:

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!

Matt, you and I must have star polyps from the same original source! ;)

Or, perhaps more likely, it might be common for this stuff to "grow" with star polyp colonies, for I have some of this same stuff on mine. I was going to post a pic for identification, but don't need to now I guess. It looks like you stuck a camera into my tank and took one. :)

It's the "little brown, shriveled. . . wisps" I thought might be "old dead parts of the polyps" in a recent post of mine (http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27129)
I'm considering removing them, whatever they are, as I don't like the look of them and as you said, I think it might be competing with the polyps, now that I know it's living. It's living where polyps once were. :shake:

Please, if you find out anything about this thing, let me know, I'd appreciate it. Until then, take care, and good luck!

Matt W

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
codewalkers.com
as40, I saw your post regarding that and thought it sounded somewhat the same, but I dismissed it as I knew mine were alive and you thought yours was dead matter.

Anyway, thanks mogurnda for the help. I think I will PM plantbrain and direct him this way and see if he has any ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store