Jewel Cichlids in a 29 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jjbtexas

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Houston Texas
I see, Unfortunately, re-homing would probably be quite difficult foe me as this would only be y second tank with the exception of my quarantine/growout tank

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
For the record, rehoming doesn't mean that you need to have a different tank ready. It means finding a new home. That home can be shipping distance away, or as close as your LFS or friend/neighbor that's interested in keeping that fish.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Oh, and I've been looking at jewel cichlids myself. They're gorgeous. Sadly, the only place I see them frequently is PetSmart, and I prefer not to buy fish from there, especially in light of a recent allegation regarding camallanus worms. Then again, I haven't bought fish from big chains in quite some time, aside from my recent betta acquisition.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I would say you could try 3 females or 2 males assuming you have lots of hiding spaces. I would really consider breeding though, you are going to have only 2 or 3 anyway. Jewels are really easy to breed and watching cichlids rear young is pretty interesting. I will admit that getting rid of the fry can be tough though...

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Just keep in mind if you breed them they will need new homes. That may sound like work, but there is a side benefit to breeding. The people who will buy them obviously have fish. You can make a lot of good connections and get your hands on really nice fish. You will not get rich, but you will up your game so to speak.There was someone selling a pair of Jewels on one of the forums. P.M. me and I'll see if I can get there info. Depending on what you have to spend, Aquabid is a good place to look. Consolidated Fish Farm or Blue Grass Aquadics all have excellent stock. Skip the LFS.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I have 1 baby Jewel Cichlid in my 29 Gallon. I have other fish as well, which is why I don't have more Cichlids. I'm hoping that because it is still a baby it will grow up with the existing tank mates and leave them alone and not try to eat them when it is bigger. Do have any other fish in your 29 gallon right now?

justarn

Registered Member
May 25, 2014
i have a 35g with a pair of reds, 6 5 spots from which im trying to get a pair, 2 spiny eel youngsters and an asian bumblebee cat... agression from the dominant 5 spot is dispersed amongst the group but nothing more than some fin nipping atm!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store