How much could I get for a wild lionfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I am in the keys for a week and yesterday while snorkeling at the beach I found a small lionfish. I know they are invasive so I caught it and brought it to the shore. I did not want to just kill it but I could not think of something better to do. It was too small to eat and I am not sure if any pet store down here would want one since they are such a pest. I see online they go for $30-100 but I am guessing it is because of shipping and maybe less common lionfish.
If I found a fish store here do you think I would get anything for a lionfish? I hate destroying the fish when it could serve a better purpose like food or a second chance as a pet. If I find another should I try to find a fish store?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Put it up on Aquabid. But keep in mind that collecting might require permits and such...I know there's a been a push recently for more aquariasts to get FL lions to help reduce the populations. I wouldn't expect to get much for it, unless you take the time to quarantine it and get it eating prepared/frozen foods.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
No permit is required for taking lionfish in Florida. Not much of a market for them in Florida but they do fetch about $15-$50 (depending on size and species) in northern states.

Andy

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I am just visiting so I don't have the opportunity to quarantine or even keep one alive for very long. Anyone know if there are even fish stores in the keys?
And I doubt there are any restrictions on lionfish since they are dangerous to the native wildlife.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Google maps, as in maps.google.com, filter for pet stores. Easier if you do it from a GPS enabled smart phone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store