Help! Dwarf gourami is bloated and has white poo!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
:nilly: My dad's dwarf gourami is unusually fat and has long white stringy poo. I think he might have parasites. How can I help him!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
He probably has stomach bloat. You need to move him into a hospital tank and give him medicine. Unfortunately the death rate for stomach bloat is really high. :( there is still hope though Audi wish you luck.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
White stringy poo seems to typically be a symptom of some kind of intestinal parasite. There are drugs available for it. I would recommend moving to a QT for treatment, to prevent any adverse effects on the rest of the tank.

If it's simply constipation related bloat, which is unlikely due to the visible presence of fecal matter at all, blanch and shell some peas, and then, obviously, feed them to the fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What's the normal diet? Any other symptoms? How long has your dad had the fish? Last introduction?

If this is a new fish...and it wasn't quarantined...odds are pretty good everything in the tank with it will need to be treated.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
you can treat it with levamisole hcl. it does wonders vs parasites.

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Try soaking the fish's food in onion water ( put some onions in water and stir it up a bit= onion water)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store