Spinning Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
A few weeks ago I started building a school of pristella tetras in my tank. I quarantined them and then introduced them into my 40 gallon which has a school of phantom tetras some spotted corries and Bolivian Rams. This tank has been established for about a year and a half now The water parameters are all normal. Ph tends to fluctuate between 6.8 and 7. Amonia and Nitrite at 0 and Nitrates around 40ppm. Temperature is between 74 and 78f.

Yesterday one of the pristella stopped schooling with the others. Then a little later in the day it started spinning head over tail. It doesn't look like a voluntary movement. It seems almost like a seizure. Does anyone know what's going on?

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
My fish do that before they die.:(:cry::uhoh:

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Yea, I had a skirt do similar, it spinned on its side around. Dead the next morning, nothing was wrong with it physically that I could find...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Could be neurological, could be something internal like the swim bladder...also there's something literally called "whirling disease" however I'm not sure how common it is with aquarium fish as it's supposed to attack salmonids.

tiger oscar

Mr.Bushynose pleco
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta,Canada
Real Name
You will never know
My plates do that befor they pass out. So I have no idea what's going on!:eek::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw::jaw:

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Sad to say, I found the spinning fish dead yesterday morning. I just didn't have the time yesterday to post an update.
It's a sad loss, but it's also intriguing to find out what it is that causes them to do that.

On another front, if it happens again, should I euthanize or should I let it run its course like I did this time?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'd be inclined to let it run its course, because it could be something the fish can defeat, given time. Then again, I'll be the first to say my actual experience with illness/disease is pretty limited. I've had ich and, well, ich in my tanks.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
However, in that case you run the risk of it spreading should it be infectious.

It's a tough call without knowing the underlying cause of the spinning. I personally have no issue euthanizing a fish at that stage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store