Need some Tang stocking ideas!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Finally getting ready to set up some tanks after I move in a few weeks, and today I realized I need Tangs back in my life. Unfortunately, the largest I'll be able to setup are a 20L and a standard 15g...and I'm thinking I might sneak a 10g with for some of my favorite, N. multifasciatus. So I need some suggestions for the other two tanks. I'm open to anything!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
In a 20, I like the combo of N. brevis and N. caudopunktatus (or however you spell that)! Both relatively peaceful towards others, and caudos I've had always preferred rocks and open water to shells...so it works out great.

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
A male and one or two brevis and 4-5 caudos. I can't sex caudos worth a darn and they all seem to get along fine. Brevis males are much bigger and look more calvus like if you know what I mean. Brevis pairs will share a shell, so some slightly larger shells are a good idea. Brevis are one of my all-time favorite fish...I wrote an article on them that is housed in the shellie corner of cichlid-forum.com if you are intetested.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If you can find them a pair of Ornatipinnis would do fine and should breed..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If you can find them a pair of Ornatipinnis would do fine and should breed..
Was hoping you'd pipe in Pitt...you think they'd be a good fit with the caudopunct's in the 20L instead of brevis?

I feel like there are just too many shellies I want. Guess it depends on what I can find locally when I move.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Dwarf julies would do well with brevis, and probably caudos as well...but caudos really do stick more to rocks over shells when given a chance.

I like J. transcriptus "gombe" and J. dickfeldi for dwarf julies.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store