Washing the gravel with acid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
I thought about washing the newly bought gravel with vinegar to dissolve all alkali that could be there. I poured some vinegar in the glass with a handful of gravel and it did hiss a bit, though that stopped in a minute. So, any point of pouring several bottles of vinegar to a bucket with gravel during the washing phase?

Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of gravel? What will you be putting in the tank? Try that on gravel that's already been rinsed. Most likely, all that is hissing is the dust, which washes away on it's own. If it's the gravel itself...so long as you're not aiming for a low pH, it's unlikely to have much impact on your tank other than a bit of buffering, which is a good thing.

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
What kind of gravel? What will you be putting in the tank? Try that on gravel that's already been rinsed. Most likely, all that is hissing is the dust, which washes away on it's own. If it's the gravel itself...so long as you're not aiming for a low pH, it's unlikely to have much impact on your tank other than a bit of buffering, which is a good thing.
I don't really know what kind of gravel that is... it's yellow-brownish in color, like a mixture of several stones. I want to put tetras and several dwarf cichlids... I know they like acidic water so that was my concern. But like you said, the gravel that's been washed hissed a lot less, if at all.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
like oniongirl said, if the gravel itself contains something like limestone, surface treating it with acid isn't going to affect the long term pH -- to maintain a low pH in the long term, you would have to use enough acid to completely dissolve the limestone part of the gravel, which isn't do-able and certainly not cost-effective.

if you really need a low pH, perhaps you need to find a more inert gravel

sbuse

AC Members
Mar 3, 2013
IN YOUR HEAD
Real Name
Scott
I wouldn't worry about it. Just have wood in the tank and maybe some peat moss. That would give you an ideal sa water peram. You can get peat from home improvement stores for cheap. Place it in a sock and rinse it well. You will get some tannins in the water but you can adjust the volume of peat to get the perams how you want with the tannins level you like. Weather it be non existent or a nice tea color.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it's usually better to not play with pH.

if you are adding fish that were captive bred and raised there prob isn't much need to alter the pH.

what it the normal pH of your water and is there a change when you add the gravel?
btw, if you really want to set up a SA tank you would prob be better with sand....

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm still at the very beginning, I'm collecting all items... I'll receive the shipment of all plants in Tuesday and that's when I will begin.

I will add peat to the substrate for plants. The first layer of gravel will contain peat and clay. The fish that I plan to keep/buy were bred in captivity. I don't like buying or supporting the trade of fish that were caught in the wild.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn't be adding peat to the substrate...just seems like a mess waiting to happen. If you have room in the filter and still want to add some, you can put some there.

But I agree with Star, if you are buying captive-bred fish there likely isn't a reason to be messing with the pH or water chemistry at all.

Turin Turambar

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Serbia
Visit site
You are right. That was the recommendation that I got from one plants keeper. There's no doubt it's good for plant roots, but it would be a real mess if peat emerged from the surface... I'll buy JBL florapol instead. Thanks!

sbuse

AC Members
Mar 3, 2013
IN YOUR HEAD
Real Name
Scott
You are right. That was the recommendation that I got from one plants keeper. There's no doubt it's good for plant roots, but it would be a real mess if peat emerged from the surface... I'll buy JBL florapol instead. Thanks!
Yeah don't put it in the substrate. If you use peat put it in a sock that will keep it contained. Even in captive fish the addition of a tannic water system will incread the activity. I have noticed and extreme rise in activity from my rays since adding peat to the system.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store