I'm not liking the top trim too much...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I bought a used tank and cabinet set up at an estate sale. I'm currently in the process of resealing the tank and replacing the front glass because it's too scratched up for me to want people to see my fish through it. I'm not sure if this was a homemade tank or a custom, but the bottom trim is broken (I'm not too worried about this), and the top trim never was one piece. The four edges are separate pieces with 45 degree angles in the corners, and the corners don't really line up properly. It looks to me like someone resealed the tank and top trim, but did a poor job of lining up the top trim pieces. However, the glass is 1/2", but I'm not sure if this is enough to negate a completely connected top trim piece. The tank was definitely used, and based on the amount of equipment, for a very long time. Should I be worried about the top trim piece?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
the biggest question would be the size of the aquarium, physical dimensions as well as overall volume.

to me 1/2" glass would suggest a volume of water that I wouldn't want on my floor.

Is there a center brace or braces on the trim? this might give more of a clue as to necessity.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I forgot to mention the size, duh. Outside dimensions are 48" L x 13" W x 30" H, approximately 80 gallons. There is no center brace.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yeesh. Probably should have a center brace at that height, with that length. I mean, in theory, it's basically a scaled up 37, and a 29 can sometimes bow a bit when filled, and the 37 has a brace to keep that from happening. 80 gallons is a lot of water trying to get out of that little box. I'd suggest some serious bracing on top and bottom, just in case.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah I'd be a little worried about those dimensions with no trim or bracing, DIY euro bracing is probably what I would do if I had that tank.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I would also be worried about it bowing. As said before 29s bow a little and thats not much water but 80 gallons without a brace will be a mess to clean up and alot of money towards repairing water damages.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm going to point out a couple things here. First, it's nowhere near the dimensions of a 37. Second, I agree that 29s bow sometimes, as mine does, but this glass is twice as thick as that of a 29. I'm not disagreeing that it may need a euro brace, but you'd think that 1/2" glass would hold this load. Am I correct or completely wrong?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I'm going to point out a couple things here. First, it's nowhere near the dimensions of a 37. Second, I agree that 29s bow sometimes, as mine does, but this glass is twice as thick as that of a 29. I'm not disagreeing that it may need a euro brace, but you'd think that 1/2" glass would hold this load. Am I correct or completely wrong?
Your right its not a 37 and it does have 1/2" thick glass. To me i think it could POSSIBLY hold 80 gallons without bowing but it would be safer to get a brace on it. Id play it safe if i were you and get a brace because it would be to risky, for me, to put that much water in a tank that tall without a brace.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
That's what I wanted to hear. I actually don't need an inner lip as this probably won't have a top, and the light I'm using has legs that go on the outside of the trim, so I'll build a piece of trim with a brace out of wood. It doesn't have to look that nice either because the cabinet covers the top of the tank.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It's not the glass breaking that's of concern. It's the pressure of the water pushing on it until the seams give way that is a concern. That's what the braces are supposed to prevent. I think that concern starts being evident with a height of about 18-20 inches. That's when you start typically seeing braces on tanks. 30? Definitely would be smarter to have a brace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store