new tank, big problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
so i just picked up a 140 gallon aquarium for $100 buck, the previous owner said they had bought it 5 years back, and have had it fill up in till about 5 months ago. i looked it all over and noticed the trim on the top corners was split, and the bottom trim was missing pieces in several spots, also the top trim had no center brace, despite my concerns my excitement took over me and i bought it anyways. I took some measurements 72Lx24Wx25T, and the glass is .5 inches thick. i cant find replacement trim anywhere, i also cant find who made the tank. my questions are is it worth to re-silicon the tank, do i need trim, and if so where do i get it. any help and advice is greatly appreciated, this is my first big aquarium, and my Geophagus tapajos, and cichlasoma Heckeli's need a new bigger home from there current 75G
thank you every one for your on going help and support
Ben

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
I would say go ahead and re-silicone it and see if it will hold water in. You can get tubes of silicone at home depot or anything like that.

sbuse

AC Members
Mar 3, 2013
IN YOUR HEAD
Real Name
Scott
You need a center brace. That is a 180gal. Mine is an old oceanic. It has a glass center brace. I would do that to resolve the trim issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
180G? my conversion table is wrong darn you lol
ok so i should go to my local glass shop and have them cut me a couple glass pieces to fit inside the tank, and then silicon them in? and for the trim issue, does that mean that the bottom trim is not need and i can just take it off, the tank will sit on .5 inches of pink insulation foam on top of 1/4 inch ply for self leveling.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
sounds good on the silicon job, i did my 75 when i bought it used, not to hard of a job, its the wait that kills

jjbtexas

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Houston Texas
You could do a Euro-Style bracing which would update the look of the tank. Since you're going to go through the trouble of bracing it I would definitely re-silicone. Just make sure to use the right type cause I know some can leech chemicals.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
what is the Euro-style bracing, i will be using aquarium silicon, but i remember seeing some where that you need a special kind for tanks taller than 18in? is this correct. so to be sure, i can go ahead and take this ugly broken trim off

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Real Name
Ben
bump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store