Bat in house...!! What's the weirdest thing that you had in the house?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I just got back into my room after having to get a bat out of the diningroom/kitchen. I went down there to throw something out, see it flying about. I lost site of it and I was to scared to walk into the dining room, cause the trash can is in there. I tried waking my grandfather up, but he didn't wake... After awake he woke up and he couldn't find the bat. So he went into the restroom, I went into the kitchen, it came out of no where, wing hitting my forehead/hair. I screamed and a door was opened and we tried to lead it out the door, but could go out.

So in the end... my grandpa whacked it with a broom. :[ It lived and I put it outside, it was injured, but the vets around my area wouldn't do anything for a wild animal and would put it down... So I have no idea what to do. This isn't the first time a bat was in my house.

What is the weirdest thing you guys had in the house or around? I have a few weird stories.... but not dealing with bats.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Poor little bat.

Had a cat that would bring home baby garden snakes. And birds.

Oddest would likely be goats--they crashed through the glass door and were in the basement.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would expect that the general consensus would be that the number of glass boxes filled with water most of us keep would be quite unusual to the majority of people.

but back to the bat, if it is injured, and you find it alive but hurt, probably your best bet for help or at least being able to point you in a good direction would be the NJ Batman.

Note there's a noisy video that will play automagically - http://www.njbatman.com/

but he's located in Ridgefield Park, and should be able to help.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'd recommend thick gloves if you find it again, and decide to handle it. Bats can be biters, and the anecdotal reputation is that they carry rabies frequently.

dhvService

Aquarium Dabbler
Feb 1, 2013
Georgia
Real Name
John
I've got this thing called a teenager. Does anybody know how to get rid of it?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Parasites are a whole different order of problem than unexpected visitors.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
I've got this thing called a teenager. Does anybody know how to get rid of it?
given time they may leave and change but they will still show up on various holidays when they can be certain that there will be free food

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I would expect that the general consensus would be that the number of glass boxes filled with water most of us keep would be quite unusual to the majority of people.

but back to the bat, if it is injured, and you find it alive but hurt, probably your best bet for help or at least being able to point you in a good direction would be the NJ Batman.

Note there's a noisy video that will play automagically - http://www.njbatman.com/

but he's located in Ridgefield Park, and should be able to help.
It was 2 in the morning... and Ridgefield park is hours from me. So it's no use...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It was 2 in the morning... and Ridgefield park is hours from me. So it's no use...
I was more suggesting now, if you were to see the bat injured and unable to fly or something similar, that it might be an option, if you wanted to help it. Not something you should have known, or should have done at the time.

sorry, I was just trying to be helpful, you had mentioned that vets in your area wouldn't do anything to help, I was just providing a resource that would have offered some assistance, I'm sure they have a phone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store