UV sterilizer for Salt water, fresh water or both?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Are UV sterilizer for salt water only or would it be beneficial for freshwater also?
And what exactly does it UV sterilize/kills in the water?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Salt, fresh, brackish doesn't matter. Depending on flow rates, it can kill anything from suspended algae to parasites.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Frankly, quarantining can take care of the parasites and bacteria, and not having too many nutrients or too much light can take care of the free floating algae, so, it's not really *necessary* in most set ups. Good ones can get pricy. I've looked into them out of curiosity because my CF400UV comes with one, but the flow rate is *much* too high to do anything beyond take care of free floating algae.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
UV is most beneficial when you are treating the aftermath of an infection/infestation.. they are also very beneficial when you get very sensitive fish in..
think wild Discus, wild Altum.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Although, I do quarantine anything new that will be introduced to my tanks with dewormer overnight.
I had parasites in the past from trading plants, but ever since I'm always paranoid

Plus, I want to be sure my fishes are in their best heath possible.. . just to be safe.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The word "quarantine" is derived from the Italian "quarantina" which is the length of time (40 days) ships were forced to sit in harbor before being allowed to off load passengers/cargo to make sure no one would spread the plague.

Hmmm... That sounds like a good useless fact.

Anyway, I usually quarantine for a month, which gives most parasites/infections sufficient time to go through their life cycles far enough to be visible. Some people go for 2 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store