prego black neon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tetra_girl

AC Members
Dec 21, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Help! Gravid Black Neon Egg Bound??

I'm getting a bit concerned about her. She has gotten even bigger in the past couple days and is quite pink underneith.

She's got such a bulge now that she really is having a hard time getting around. She looks like she's dog paddling whe trying to turn around. Still managing to feed ok though.

It's a distinct bulge of just her belly and there are no scales sticking up, so I'm assuming that she is gravid and doesn't have dropsy or anything.

What should I do? She can't stay egg bound forever. I am worried about stressing by chasing everyone and removing her, but if she doesn't drop her eggs soon should I set her up in the hospital tank with the male black neon?

Help! :(

// originally posted//

Anyone got a bit of advice?

I have a medium planted 33 gal tank with a large school of Lemon Tetras and a few Black Neons.

I think one of the Black Neon girls is full of eggs. She has always been a big girl, but her tummy has gotten so fat recently that if she gets much bigger she looks like she'll explode!

She doesn't appear to have anything wrong (no raised scales etc), just a very extended belly. When looking from below her though, the underbelly seems to have almost a pinkish stripe in the middle of her silver expanded bottom belly.

What should I do? Will she eventually release the eggs (if that's what it is)? There is 1 small Black Neon male in the tank (is about same age but is much smaller and slimer than others).

I've head that the eggs are light sensitive. There is a fairly dark "cave" in the tank under a planted piece of bog wood with some javamoss at the back. My Lemons did spawn about a year ago in the tank and I got a whole school of baby Lemons. Should I leave them be? Or should I move them to the spare hospital tank to try and get them to do their thing?

Just want to make sure she's ok and that her belly goes down.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
tetra_girl

Last edited:

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Originally posted by Hans
mmmm baby lemons.. sounds tasty!
black neons. baby black neons.

zoomed.com