Looking to upgrade from Eheim 2217

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I'm currently running an old Eheim 2217 for a 75 gallon tank and I think it's time for an upgrade.

I was looking at "Aquatop CF500UV 5-Stage Canister Filter with UV 9W, 525 gph", but i'm not sure if this would be a wise choice or if it's even an upgrade at all.

What really caught my attention was the UV sterilizer.
However, i read a comment on Amazon and someone suggested any tank bigger then 40 gallons, the 9v bulb is pretty much useless.
Does this statement have any truth to it?

Are there any other filters under $200 that would be an upgrade?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It's not so much the size of the tank that's a problem, as far as the UV sterilizer goes. It's the flow rate that's the problem. At the flow rates that filter has, you'll *probably* be able to zap some free floating algae into oblivion. Since the point of a UV sterilizer is to also eradicate parasites, that flow rate will do nothing beyond killing off the weakest of the parasites that are already going to die. If you want a UV sterilizer, get one. This is one of those scenarios where combining the two is going to get less effectiveness out of one. I imagine the filter itself will filter quite well, because my CF400UV does a pretty good job at pulling crap out, judging by how mucked up the media is when I take it apart. The UV sterilizer is next to useless. You'll probably end up picking up some media to fully stock the trays, though. I don't think it'll come with much.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
How big is your tank, the one that is running CF400UV?
I don't have much experience with hardware.

Would CF500UV be an upgrade vs Eheim 2217 just for the filtration?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It's on 55, along with an AC 70 that I will some day get around to upgrading to an AC 110. I clean the canister about once every 6-8 weeks (I've had it since March or April) when I notice flow diminishing sufficiently to be problematic.

I'm not familiar with the Eheim 2217, so I really can't answer that for you. According to some quick research, the Aquatop will move more water through it, 525 gph vs 263, with some variance due to media order, clogging, and return height. However, the commonly heard thing about Eheim canisters is that they have superior biological filtration capabilities. All that really just makes the answer less clear cut.

Personally, if it's working, I don't see a need to upgrade. If you think it's just not handling enough mechanical filtration, maybe add an AC 70 or AC 110 (my 70 still pulls a good bit of stuff out as well) or the CF400UV for additional filtration. I'm a fan of canister + HOB where logical, since the HOB will have easy access for quick cleaning as well as being able to add charcoal or other media as needed with ease.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah, I normally only clean filters every 8 weeks. I had Eheim 2217 for more then 20 years, so I figured it's time to upgrade, but I never seen the flow diminishing, so I guess it's a good sign.
I just keep feeling the motor no longer any good since its so old.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't replace it if it's still working, but that's just me.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
After doing a lot of research, I decided to take your advice and stick with Eheim.
I wanted to buy their Pro E series, but after reading the reviews... it seems new models from any brand are cheaply made which ends up cracking/leaking.

I decided to buy the same old Eheim 2217 model. (159 gallon) and use this new one for the 75 gallon tank.
Now, with the old one for my 30 gallon tank (replacing the old Fluval 303 filter)
Going to take the Fluval 303 for my 20 gallon tank (replacing 2 sponge filters)

The new filter comes with "EHEIM Mech & Substrat Pro" filter media which is great, but it also says "Can be reused by lightly rinsing with aquarium water every 1 to 3 months and replaced every 3 to 6 months"
Do they really need to be replaced or can I just bleach it like Purigen?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I have no familiarity with that media. You may want to try searching for regeneration or cleaning tips for it.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I am glad you came to the conclusion I was gonna suggest. Eheim 2217 is an awesome filter. To me, anything that would be an upgrade would be way too costly. I run 5 of these and honestly don't think I will ever go fo another cannister. As far as the media...I have read different things. Keep in mind they want you to replace it cuz then you buy more media. I have had 2 of mine running for probably 2 years and never have replaced the media. All is well and it works just as well now as when I first set it up. I use both the mech and substrat pro plus thier pads...forget the name...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store