Euthanizing My Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anns5544

Registered Member
Jul 22, 2013
I searched on-line, as suggested by my pet store advisor, for a humane way to euthanize my niece's Betta. I chose your site for advice. The Betta had become very lethargic, turning a brownish color and lying on the bottom of the tank. It seemed to be gasping for every breathe and would only occasionally go to the top of the tank. It would immediately sink back to the bottom. I found the following suggestion by someone who worked professionally with fish and used it. It was a very upsetting experience. I put the fish in the water and, as in the last two days, he did not move around at all. When I added and started stirring in the baking soda, the Betta started thrashing violently. This went on for several minutes, so I added more soda. He continued thrashing. I followed another on-line post and added some Clorox to the water. He continued thrashing several more minutes. This process was anything but humane.

My post is just to inform anyone who gets this same advice.........

*****THE FOLLOWING ADVICE IS AN AWFUL WAY TO EUTHANIZE ANYTHING*****

[h=2]Euthanizing fish[/h]POSTED BY

Sarasvati47

I used to work for a pet care chain in the fish department, and our company guidelines gave us this method for euthanizing fish. I've used it myself with good results. I put my fish in about 3/4 cup of water and stirred in about two teaspoons of baking soda. It seemed to work very quickly, and I detected no struggle or suffering. It seems to knock the fish out almost immediately."

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Ice cold water, is effective. If you can swing it, ice cold vodka (brand, quality, flavor are irrelevant and for this usage, cheaper is probably better) is better, because it's liquid at a lower temperature.

I've also heard clove oil is effective.

I've never heard of baking soda as a euthanizing tool. And bleach is just a harsh poison.

I'm sorry you got such crappy advice.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ugh...

The porcelain express would be better than baking soda or bleach.

Hopefully it was genuine old age or whatnot that effected the betta in the original post and not a treatable condition in the first place.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
they had 3 posts 8 years ago...not very reliable...never heard of that method...

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
The baking soda method sounds like a terrible death. Sorry you had to go through watching your fish die that way.

I'd heard of the vodka method, but then I heard that it causes the gills to burn.

I've used the clove oil method on three separate occasions and it seems to be humane and also very fast. Fish are dead within a second or two.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'd heard of the vodka method, but then I heard that it causes the gills to burn.
Maybe, but if it's below freezing, between the temperature and the inebriation, the fish'll probably never know before they pass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store