How much of a fluctuation of salt is safe for filter bacteria?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
Hello, I am wondering how much of a salt fluctuation is safe for the filter bacteria in a brackish tank. I did a big water change in my brackish tank about a week ago and I suspect I might have ammonia levels although I haven't tested yet. I brought the specific gravity down from 1.010 to about 1.008, m fish didn't mind one bit. I am wondering if this is too high of a jump for the bacteria? How sensitive are brackish filter bacteria to salt level changes?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I know going the other way, the SW bactiria are quite tolerant of dips and highs. The FW ones...hard to say. Why do you suspect you have ammonia?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It would make sense for the bacteria to be tolerant of SG shifts as it changes normally in most brackish environments. I've also heard that a 0.002 change is about the most you want to do, but that was a "per week" rule for transitioning from FW to BW.

Either way, the best measure would be to keep track of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings.

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
I think maybe the ammonia might be a little high because my green spotted puffer's colors don't look as bright as usual for the last couple of days, although he's not in visible distress or anything. I need to test the water, honestly my tanks have been so stable I rarely test anymore so I'll have to find my test kits. It's a 29 gallon with tufa rock, driftwood, and a couple of mangroves.

Johnny77

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2015
This is extremely pleasant and fair post.....You shook posting it....Thanks a great deal for posting it.....!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store