Ocean rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dtye91

AC Members
Jul 28, 2012
Is it ok to use ocean rocks in a mbunua tank? I live in Hawaii and this stuff is all over the beach near my house, and it looks super cool. Just wondering if its safe to use?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Safe...sort of, I guess. It's volcanic or coral, which means it's going to be sharp, and may cut or injure fish. You'll want to rinse the heck out of it and if it's coral, make sure you clean it very well to remove any of the coral still attached--they'll die and rot in freshwater.

Keep in mind that it's not legal to collect more than one gallon of rock per day, and removing anything that's attached is illegal.

dtye91

AC Members
Jul 28, 2012
Ok cool it's coral, volcanic is hard to come by lol the pieces I've found are actually pretty smooth. And I found them washed up on the beach, I defiantly don't want to mess up an ecosystem

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Keep in mind it'll raise the ph which shouldnt be an issue for mbuna's as they like it 8.0+

My only concern would be the laws there about collecting it, most likely illegal to collect any that has any life on it, but if this rocks on shore dry and out of the tidal area it should be ok to take.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree just make sure it is washed up and no living creatures are on it and double check with Fish and Game in your area, usually a quick call is all is needed to check, You can boil it and rinse the heck out of it and it should be fine..

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
+1 Give it a good freshwater bath afterwards and check the water parameters as it may leech some stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store