Tips and tricks please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cricket55

AC Members
Feb 6, 2012
VA
I recently upgraded to a 50 gallon from my 30 gallon. Well my 30 gal is now sitting around not being put to use. I tried searching on how to turn it into a sump filter for a freshwater, but either I can't search too well, or there isn't too many threads on it. So if anyone has any experience on this could you please share about how I would go about doing this? Thanks.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Do you have a quarantine tank? If not, that may be a better usage.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Do you have a quarantine tank? If not, that may be a better usage.
If theres no quarantine tank then i deffinately agree with authmal. Although a sump is very useful, a quarantine tank will be better especially if you want to add any new fish and dont want to risk diesease in your new tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree as well. While there are some pro's to having a sump, it isn't going to be all that necessary for a FW tank that size. There are enough filtration options for a 50g that do not require the use of a separate tank. It becomes a better investment for VERY large tanks with large bioloads because filters for tanks that size are way up there in price and the extra water volume helps.

That being said, if you do really just have an extra tank right now...a FW sump is going to be pretty much the same as a SW sump. The only difference is that you wont have extra equipment like a skimmer and may end up using some different media. Quite a few builds and videos if you search online. There's also the wet/dry option, although I don't know much about how to go about implementing one...

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
You should call it a refugium and shove floating stem plants or java moss in there with Red Cherry Shrimp. You won't need many barriers in a fuge. Does the 50g have an overflow? If not, you'll need an overflow box.

cricket55

AC Members
Feb 6, 2012
VA
It does not have an overflow. I was talking to someone who built a sump for his tank. I liked the idea because he built it, and he prefers them over canister filters because he feels they are easier. I just keep looking at this empty tank with ideas in my head.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
It does not have an overflow. I was talking to someone who built a sump for his tank. I liked the idea because he built it, and he prefers them over canister filters because he feels they are easier. I just keep looking at this empty tank with ideas in my head.
They are pretty neat, and it's a great way to keep hardware out of sight. I'm not a fan of overflow boxes tho. They can be loud and a mistake can lead to water on the floor.

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
Turn a 30 gal in sump? bad idea
Two tank are better than one ;)
For 50 gal buy a canister filter fuval 206 or 306, are similar to older generation 205 and 305, but these filter more grossly.
I've a pratiko 200 is equal to fuval 205, is good filter, silent, works for two years and I cleaned once.

cricket55

AC Members
Feb 6, 2012
VA
I think I'll go that route of getting a canister filter. Thanks, I may set the 30 gallon back up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store