Bulkhead for a 2in hole?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Willard2.0

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Real Name
Dwayne
I bought an 90g tank, stand and canopy off a guy from kijiji. It has 2 holes drilled in the bottom, but no bulkheads were included. I figured it wouldn't be a problem to get a bulkhead for it. It seems I was wrong.

After getting it home and cleaning it up, I discovered the holes are 2" diameter. From my research, a 1" bulkhead requires a 1-3/4" hole and a 1.5" bulkhead takes a 2-3/8" hole. Does anyone know of a bulkhead that fits a 2" hole? Can I silicone a new piece of glass over top of the existing hole and drill that with a 1-3/4" hole? Would that crack over time?

I will only be using a canister filter, so I don't really need the bulkheads. As a last resort, I could silicone a piece of glass over the hole, plug it and call it done. It would just be nice to avoid running the hoses around the back of the tank.

And the obligatory full tank shot lol
90g Tank.jpg

90g Tank.jpg

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
:iagree:

The "easy" answer is to get a premade bulkhead, but that's one of the things I'm aware of that you can DIY, and it shouldn't be too difficult, as long as you use aquarium safe components from your local (or not so local, as the case may be) hardware store, such as PVC and additive free (no colors/mold repellents blah blah blah) silicone. I'm not particularly handy, and I haven't *done* it, but between seeing threads here and hearing conversations at my LFS about it, I know it can be done.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
It's an odd size hole and there won't be a premade bulkhead for it. You can use pvc and gaskets to make one but if they aren't necessary for your filtration you are probably better off siliconing a piece of glass over the hole. You don't have to use the same thickness as the bottom since it is not holding the weight of the tank. A piece of 3/16" thick glass would be fine.

Andy

Willard2.0

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Real Name
Dwayne
I'll check HD today and see if they have any fittings that will work. How reliable are the DIY bulkheads? They are on the bottom of the tank, so there would be no going back to redo later.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the DYI are just as reliable if properly made..
btw PVC white is for use with potable water .

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Keep in mind that the DIY bulkheads do not have the wide plastic lip that a normal bulkhead has that pulls down and compresses the seal ring. You want to get a pvc fitting that fits the hole as close as possible. That way the little bit of a lip that the pvc fitting has will be able to compress the seal ring.

aldiaz33

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
I believe a schedule 80 bulkhead fitting will work. A 1" schedule 80 Bulkhead fitting calls for a 1.88" (1 7/8") hole, so that should work for you since the flange comes out well over 1/8".

Willard2.0

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Real Name
Dwayne
I would just make one from parts.....

View attachment 208283

Your local Lowes or Home Depot should have what you need.

Dennis
I tried Home Depot, Rona, and a couple of plumbing distributors. HD and Rona both carry PVC up to 1in, nothing bigger. Rona did have electrical conduit fittings up to 2in. The 1.5" threaded fittings were the right size, but the threads weren't long enough to go though the 3/8" glass plus the 1/8" gasket. The plumbing distributors did not carry PVC, only pex and ABS (PVC isn't used for plumbing buildings around here). I have one more place to try tomorrow, I really hope they carry 1.5" fittings.

I believe a schedule 80 bulkhead fitting will work. A 1" schedule 80 Bulkhead fitting calls for a 1.88" (1 7/8") hole, so that should work for you since the flange comes out well over 1/8".
I didn't think about using sch 80, I'll see if I can find a pair of them somewhere.

Willard2.0

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Real Name
Dwayne
Well, after weeks of searching I was able to find a store in town that was willing to help me out. They spoke with their supplier and were able to order me 2 1" sch80 bulkheads. $25ea and 2 weeks for delivery later, I have the bulkheads I need.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store